Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claraserena

bald hen

claraserena
16 years ago

One of my hens (age 2) is not doing well. She has had a bare spot on her back for a long timeÂabout 6 weeks ago I made her a saddle and sheÂs had it on since. About two feathers have started to grow back under the saddle. The saddle does not cover the tops of her wings and they are bare. She is getting very bare around her tail and has a bare area on her chest. The bare skin on the tops of her wings and on her head has darkened in places and looks tough almost leathery. I have never seen any other chicken pecking her. In fact, she is the head hen and has always been the one to keep the others in line.

I do not see any sign of mites or other things. None of the other hens have this. I have some Blu-Cote but I am worried that might hurt her bare skin even more. Should I assume she is getting pecked and I just don't see it? Will the Blu-cote sting and is that the best (this is a can of spray). Is there anything I can do for her to get the feathers to grow back? She acts fine, is still laying.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!