Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Some chicks haven't absorbed yolk sac entirely

Posted by mersiepoo 6a (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 23, 10 at 9:25

This is the first time it's happened, and it's not that omphalitis thing (infection), at least I don't think so. I've been having a very delayed long drawn out hatch this time, possibly due to temperature spikes in the incubator, or because the temperature was too high during the hatch. Anyway, the one keat was born with a tiny bit of something outside its body. I figured it was the yolk sac because I could see that chalzae thing sticking out at the end of it (at first I thought its intestines prolapsed out of its bum, but then I remembered it's too low for that.

So far I have another one that hasn't absorbed their sac, is there anything I can do? Also, could too high a temperature cause this early hatch and their sac not being absorbed? As I type this, I'm thinking that maybe the temperature was too high.

Anyone else had this happen? =:O

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Some chicks haven't absorbed yolk sac entirely

No idea here. Gut instinct tells me either they absorb it or they dont, in which case they won't make it.
Brendasue

o

I had had that happen on occasion from inky raised chicks. I think you are right in that it's caused by hatching just a little too early because of conditions in the inky. It can also happen if you 'assist' a chick out of the egg when it is trying to peck out. Sometimes that particular issue is caused by humidity too low, or not turning them frequently.

If you can keep them clean and not have the sack adhere to something and pull from the body, I have had them live. I do not put them in loose bedding if they have an exterior yolk sac, but usually on sanitary cloth for a day or two until the issue is resolved. It's really not a desireable thing to happen. Good luck.

o

I had that happen before when I was using the el cheapo hovabator foam incubator that just couldn't reliably hold a temperature. Two chickens back in a hatch in the 1990's had this and both of them survived it and lived to be like 5-6 years old for me and were great layers.

If it's not too major, if the unabsorbed yolk sac is smaller than a nickle, say, they often can pull through if they seem ok otherwise. As said above, keep them clean and dry, and keep them in the incubator or a separate brooder with the temp right up there at 99.5 -100.0 degrees -- I think the extra warm temps help them to absorb it faster.

If the yolk sac is really big and soft, it may not work, but you aren't out anything for trying to pull them through unless they're obviously suffering, at which point you should probably humanely cull.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here