Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to do with tree tops timber cutters left behind?

Posted by kumquatlady (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 27, 11 at 9:36

I recently have timber guys come and cut hard wood trees in my property and they left the piles of tree tops. I think it will be very expensive to have someone come houl it away or chip it for mulch. Does anyone has any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to do with tree tops timber cutters left behind?

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 27, 11 at 12:48

Might be a "stretch," but advertise "free firewood-you cut." A lot of the tree tops and limbs left after lumbering are great for firewood, particuarly since they're already on the ground which appeals to amateur lumberjacks....:-) You'll be left with a lot smaller mess to deal with.

Good luck,

Ev

o

I agree with Ev ... I know plenty of people in my area that would gladly take it off your hands. Firewood is getting more and more expensive, like everything else.

o

Thanks guys. That is great idea. I placed an ad on cragslist and hope many will show up take it as much as they want.

o

Make sure to make clear to people that cutting/hauling the wood is at their own risk...maybe have them sign a waiver so if they hurt themselves on your property they can't come after your property insurance.

Velvet ~:>

o

Also - many of the branches can be used by woodworkers to make small things like pens.

o

I doubt you will get rid of enough brush that way. Next time you sign a timber contract specify that no debris can be left that stands more than 4" off the ground.

If you have a tractor, you may be able to rent a 3ph chipper to attach to the PTO. This is still a lot of work.

If you know your trees, and chip into a trailer, you may be able to bag and sell the chips for smokehouse and barbarque.

Another possibility is just wade in with a chainsaw, and cut it into chunks that will lie flat on the ground. They will be half decomposed in a couple years.

Currently I'm putting small wood and brush into a creek, alternating with dirt. DIY beaver dam.

o

resurrecting this old thread as we are piling ours on top of a row of stumps. the plan is to create habitat by providing hiding spaces and plenty of decomposing wood which attracts bugs.
i'll add a few scoops of dirt and plant a wildflower mix designed to feed pollinators, so it sould be very nice as it breaks down.

o

Brush piles are great places for wildlife of the smaller kinds. As a kid we always piled the brush then check out the piles after the first snowfall, always a few rabbit tracks going in or out.

o

"Next time you sign a timber contract specify that no debris can be left that stands more than 4" off the ground."

Excellent advice. So is the comment about having people sign a waiver so if they hurt themselves on your property they can't come after your property insurance.

We had to have an Ash tree taken down because of borer bugs. We wouldn't not have wanted them to leave any of this behind to infect the others.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here