Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when can chicks leave brooder?

Posted by cranberry15 Zone 5 WI (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 9, 09 at 10:09

I'm in SE Wisconsin and our spring temps have been ridiculous! My black austrolorp chix are 4 weeks old and I can just now see the feathers on their heads are starting to come in (rest of feathers are in). Our night time temps are STILL below 50 degrees. (forecast says nights will be mid 50's by the weekend) I've got a great little chicken tractor that I want to move them to until they're big enough to join my lonely hen in her pasture. The roosting area of the tractor is about 2.5 x 3 and there are only 5 chicks. Will they be warm enough at night if temps are in the upper 40's? Mid 50's? The brooder is getting a bit crowded and they're emptying their little waterer almost daily!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when can chicks leave brooder?

Personally I would hesitate to put them in a tractor at their age. Not so much because of the temperature, but because of the spring rain/cold/chill combo.

If they are feathered I don't worry about supplemental heat, but in a tractor they will be on the low damp ground, in cooler weather. Sooo, I'd come up with a different plan, but that's just me. Unless your weather isn't as wet as ours is this time of year?

We have a wire cage hung with wire twine from the ceiling we use when we need it. Maybe something like that would work temporarily?

Brendasue

o
RE: when can chicks leave brooder?

I've heard after 6 weeks. This is based on starting them at 95 degrees, lowering their temp by 5 degrees every week, and then not needing supplemental heat after they are used to 70 degrees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here