Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kiddie Pool Duck Pond

Posted by soteriagal 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 8, 09 at 10:21

Ok, we've set up a kiddie pool for our three ducks. We manage to dump the whole thing [which is NOT easy!], hose it out and put in fresh water about once a week .... SO FAR.

Anyway, is there anything that can be added to the 'pond' to help keep it clean naturally and won't harm my duckies? Like, uh.....baking soda? Apple cider vinegar? Orange cleaner? Hydrogen peroxide? Right now when it gets to the green stage, it's a mosquito heaven!!! YIPES. UGH. UGH. hmm

The only OTHER option I can think of 'might' be a pump/filter thingie that runs continually, but if it's too costly or troublesome, I would probably resort to plan A again!

Ideas? Experiences? Links?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kiddie Pool Duck Pond

I Had a goose long ago before I lived in a place with a real pond.I too did the kiddie pool thing. I think we even dug it into the ground.I remember dumpng it every day.
You can add mosquito dunks they won't harm the ducks but why aren't those spoiled ducks eating the larvae? Ducks are piggish animals I might say I change our ducklings drinking water 3 times a day and cannot wait til they have the whole pond to eat ,swim and poop in.
The fish happily eat the poop sometimes following them around waiting for their next meal to drop !

o
RE: Kiddie Pool Duck Pond

if you dump all the water out on the ground it kills the mosquito larva. If you do it every week on the same day you should not have a problem with mosquito going all the way from egg to adult. It should take them more than a week to go from egg to adult. here is off the internet.

The egg, larvae and pupae stages depend on temperature and species characteristics as to how long it takes for development. For instance, Culex tarsalis might go through its life cycle in 14 days at 70 F and take only 10 days at 80 F. Also, some species have naturally adapted to go through their entire life cycle in as little as four days or as long as one month.

You can also skim the egg rafts off the surface with a fine net. feeder goldfish will eat those that hatch in clear water that is not replaced such as rain water collectors.

Hopefully you have a garden for that great fertilizer water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here