Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mollasses in chicken water

Posted by lil_chick_lady (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 7, 07 at 10:23

i have been reading some posts that mention putting mollasses into the chicken water. should i be doing this and if so what is the benifits of doing so.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mollasses in chicken water

No. There may be some very minor benefits such as additional minerals or energy (not needed), but they'll be getting that if you're feeding a commercial feed anyway.

The drawbacks are quick bacteria build up, especially in warm weather, attraction of flys, and chickens just don't need that much excess sugar. It's a waste of time and money.

o

thank you for the info, we find a combo of nutrena layer crumbles and wild game feed, we also haev peacocks.

o

There is a great page by MSU on various poultry solutions here:

http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/solutions.html

The molasses basically is used as a laxative for birds that have been exposed to botulism toxins, to flush their digestive tract. As with any home treatment, some people swear by it, some don't. If you have birds that have suffered an outbreak of botulism and are dead if you do nothing, I think it may fall under the 'can't hurt' category.

Are you maybe thinking of the benefits of putting ACV (apple cider vinegar) into chickens' drinking water...?

By the way, I'm jealous of your peacocks. :( I want peas!

Velvet ~:>

o

We have always used a mixture of molasses and apple cider vinegar in our chicken's water and have never had a sick chicken. Yes, anecdotal, but molasses has tons of vitamins and minerals and AVC is also a wonderful additive. With the little chicks, we use it all the time until they get to be about 3 months old.

We always have a waterer with it available after that and just plain water in the others. In the winter, they seem to drink more of the doctored water and in the summer, more plain water.

Recipe for a concentrate that doesn't need refrig. and lasts forever:

Microwave in a 2 C. measuring cup, 12 oz. ACV for 2 minutes. Add molasses to make 2 cups (1/2 C.) Use 1/4 C. of this mixture to one gallon of water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here