Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poultry Hatcheries

Posted by skagit_goat_man_ WA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 08 at 10:39

We haven't bought chicks for 5 years and went down to our feed store to see what they have. It's only June and they are placing their last order for 75 chicks and no breeds that we want. Looking on-line it seems that something has happened that's decreased the number of hatcheries or the amount of birds available. What's been going on that I've missed the past years of not having chickens? Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poultry Hatcheries

I have used McMurray Hatcheries several times and have always been very happy with their products and services. Give them a try. They have so many different breeds and my last chicks were very healthy. I lost only two in shipping but I ordered 25 and they sent 30 so I came out ahead!

o

Ideal Poultry in Cameron, Texas has a wide variety of breeds. They are great on service, very knowledgeable, and extremely helpful.
The eight black Australorps that we got from them in March are strong and healthy, and also eating us out of house and home!
You can contact them at www.idealpoultry.com and see if they are still shipping chicks. We highly recommend this company.

o

when I was reading the last issue of Hobby Farm magazine I happened to come across an ad for Meyer Hatchery. They have lots and lots of breeds and you don't have to buy a zillion, I think the minimum order is 5 but don't hold me to that. Anyway the last time I went on their site they say that you can not order online while they upgrade but you can browse and call in your order. They sent a catalog and they have stuff way cheaper than anyone else (like cages for $8 each). Some of the stuff is online and some only in the catalog.

Anyway getting to the point when I clicked on several breeds they said none in stock. I was wondering the same thing as you. Is something going on??

You might have read this response I sent to someone else but it is worth repeating. Check Craigslist. I found what I wanted but the guy was just too far away to make the trip. I emailed him and asked him if he is ever near my city and if so could I meet him somewhere to buy my chicks. He happened to have a doctors appointment less than a half a mile away from me and they met me at Mc Donalds and that is how I got my chicks. Only problem is you do not get to see the condition they live in before you get them. He had a live webcam on his website and that helped me to see what I wanted to see. a clean hatchery...
Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: MEYER HATCHERY

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here