Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wheezing Chicken

Posted by nhsuzanne z5 SW-NH (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 08 at 11:33

My Speckled Sussex hen is wheezing like she has a cold. I have no experience with this but I think they can get colds. She is acting fine otherwise eating, walking around. I have noticed that the rooster goes after her to chase her off and she is off by herself sometimes. This behavior makes me worry that she really is sick.

Can anyone advise me as to what to do next? Should I isolate her. I wormed all of the chickens with Wazine about 3 weeks ago and am planning to it again in a week.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wheezing Chicken

There are various respiratory illnesses that can befall a chicken, more info is here:

http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/diseases.html

The cause could be bacterial, mycoplasmosis, infectious coryza...try to narrow it down by matching symptoms and suspected causes. Sulmet (a liquid medication with a sulfa base) can be added to their drinking water for some of these conditions. If you can, quarantine the sick bird and think seriously about treating your entire flock.

Velvet ~:>

o

She does not seem to be as acute as this site describes. Still, I have started my flock on Sulmet to see what happens.
Someone suggested that she might have something caught in her throat. Has anyone had a hen that this happened to?

o

hows the chick doing now and did you find out what the problem was?

o

She was doing well after her treatment of Sulmet. But in the last two days she started "honking" again and sort of sneezing so I put them all back on another round of Sulmet for a couple of days. There doesn't appear to be anything stuck that I can see. The rest of my flock is just fine so I am really perplexed. She seems fine but may have lost a little weight. I guess I just have to wait and see. I hate it when one of my girls is off.

o

Tonight when I let them out to free range the rooster is going after her big time - first I thought he was trying to mount her but then he is just pecking and being mean to her. She just lays there until I intercede. It was okay for while and he has done it again but this time a few hens join in the pecking. So now I have her seperated and she is wheezing badly but it's pretty hot 80+. I don't know what to do for her. I will put her on the roosting bar after it's quiet. MY DH is out of town and I don't have the courage to put her down myself - I can't let her suffer. Any words of wisdom here?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here