Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
6 yr old geese still laying

Posted by laturcotte1 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 7, 12 at 11:52

I have two 6 year old Roman Tufted geese (no gander) who are still laying eggs 3 times a year. Is there an age they stop?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 6 yr old geese still laying

I'm no expert on geese, but I think they will keep laying as long as they live. With that being said the amount they lay will decrease.

o

Somewhere in my home library I have a small book on Geese and it states that a lot of common barnyard fowl are amazingly long lived. I don't know how accurate it is (I don't even know where the book is now!) but I remember a story about a goose being trampled and killed by a horse while she was sitting on a nest of eggs that all eventually hatched in an incubator and that bird was over a hundred years old!!!! (I think it said she was like 110!) The authors stance was that there are few accurate records for farm stock and that a lot of ducks and geese are kept in flocks and no one knows how old they are.

I've seen some old geese in my life and they really showed their age after 12 years. I don't see how they could make it past 30.

o

20-25 is a decent age for a goose. 30 is pushing it but not unheard of. The ones that make it to adulthood quickly find out that ponds are their best protection from predators.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here