Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chicks with big hens?

Posted by lady_nikki z6OK (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 15, 09 at 12:09

I have two grown black orp hens that live very nicely together. I bought three heavy chicks, supposed to be pullets, who are now about 2 months old. I was also given a 3-month old orp roo. The four immature birds live together pretty well.
I have been giving them their daily "afternoon stroll" (being out of the pen for an hour or so) at the same time and the hens pretty much ignore the young ones.
The plan is to have the whole gang live together in the 8 x 12 pen the two hens are currently in.
I don't want anyone getting pecked to death but wonder when they can safely be integrated.
thanks
Nik

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chicks with big hens?

I recently incorporated my 8 week old chicks into the pen with my adult hens. For a few days I would only let them run together while I was there to oversee things, but then I just left the babies' door open. I think it's important that the babies have somewhere to escape to if they need to get out of the way -- the adults won't necessarily peck them, but will kind of ignore them to the point that they walk right through them!

The babies have not yet ventured outside with the adults, they seem to view the hatch door with great awe and respect! I'm waiting for that next step to happen.

Good luck!

Johanna

o

They are certainly old enough to run all together. Here is the 'Meet & Greet' technique I use, it works for me:

http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickIntroducingNewBirdsToFlock.htm

Velvet ~:>

o

I hope you can upload some photos.

o

Dear Gardenlover -
No, as a matter of fact, I can't. I use a public computer and there are things we are not allowed to do.
Nik

o

The trick is food, though. Ideally, the older ones would be on layer pellets and the younger ones on starter/grower.

And I've actually been wondering about this, as my 3-month old chicks moved in with the grown-ups, by begin persistent about jumping a fence, and lately I've given in, letting them all eat the same thing, which I know isn't supposed to be a good idea. They get along nicely, though.

--Jonathan

o

When I introduce chicks to the henhouse, I put them in a cage with wire wide enough to let the chicks go in and out, but keep the mature fowl out. The chicks know pretty quickly if they run back into the cage, they're safe. I keep the tiny waterer in the cage and chick feed and it keeps the old gals out of the baby ration. I do not use antibiotic chick feed, but if you do then it's also a good way to keep your layers out of the drugs, so the eggs aren't tainted.

Usually I'll have one or two broody hens who 'adopt' the new chicks anyhow, and sometimes a rooster will literally take them under wing. The babies end up abandoning their safety cage and I'll find them all stuffed around a hen or roo in the morning. LOL. They will, as teenager chicks, get an occasional peck and learn they are at the very bottom of the pecking order. Funny thing is, roos seem to know that the chicks are to be protected. I get more grief from the hens than the roos when I put chicks in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here