Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
poultry feed

Posted by woodrose711 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 10, 09 at 12:11

I wonder if it's really neccessary to feed hens layer mash for them to lay eggs. I know hens will lay without it, just not as much. I'm thinking about making my own broad spectrum feed blend that can be used for all of my geese and chickens, I don't want to bother with special foods for special purposes. My chickens are Wyandottes and Rocks, good layers to begin with.Between 8-10 hens I'll be happy with around a dozen eggs a week anyway. How about a good scratch with oyster shells and black oil sunflower seeds added? My birds will also mostly be free range. Any advise on this idea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: poultry feed

I am in MA and not grain places around here that I know about. Making your own is interesting. Do you have a place to grind the feeds. will it cost more or less to do your own special grind.

I was reading online someone was getting their own grind so it was not medicated but was higher protein and desired for raising game birds.

I like letting them free range and using what is lower cost. Geese eat too much grain in my opinion. Geese actually do best on grass.

You can actually free range and feed them nothing. Just give them water. They will be probably better than with feed. Some people use a little feed or grain toward evening to get them back into the house. Just enough to get them coming home before dark.

o

http://www.lionsgrip.com/recipes.html

Here is a link that might be useful: feed

o

henspa.com has a good organic scratch and lists ingredients. After looking at the recipe options at lionsgrip.com, it seems feasable to adapt the henspa scratch for a broader use. The henspa scratch is $15 for 50#.

o

I went to the henspa site and although I have not found the feed info yet I did find this neat garbage can tractor. I thik that is really neat for a subdivision chicken keeper.

Here is a link that might be useful: garbage can hen house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here