Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions on Shiitake Mushrooms

Posted by babalubird Central Texas (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 08 at 13:11

I think I posted this on wrong forum, no responses, so trying again here:

"I'm interested in growing shiitake mushrooms from the little "caps" you can order but have many questions. This is an experiment toward hopefully growing commercially one day.

I understand the "caps" should be put in drilled holes of oak wood but that other hardwoods can be used. Our Hackberry trees here are considered a hard wood and that's what I have available. Question #1, will they do well in the Hackberry wood?

I also understand that the wood should be harvested in the fall when the sap is at its lowest. We need to cut down what little wood we have now in preparing our home for sale. We plan then to take the inoculated wood cords to our farm where there are absolutely NO trees. Question #2 Will this work to harvest the wood now, end of May here and into the heat of summer?

Hope some experienced mushroom growers can advise me. Thanks.

Connie"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions on Shiitake Mushrooms

Cut the logs in the spring for best yields, wait for a few weeks for the logs to dry and the antifungal compounds to loose efficacy. Shiitake do well is denser woods, if hackberry is dense try it, if its a weak light hardwood like birch then don't. You should know that fruit wood is renown for how poorly it works at growing mushrooms.

I'm not sure what you mean by caps, in the worlds of mushrooms cap refers to the cap of the mushroom, you could clown then grown shiitake mushrooms from the cap but it takes a good deal of expertise to do, personally I would recommend plug spawn or barring that sawdust spawn, rope spawn and sporulated chainsaw oils are also viable options. Personally if I were you I'd hedge my bet by inoculating some logs with shiitake and some with a more generalized species like Hypsozygous Ulamrus, the elm oyster. Don't forget to water the mushroom logs!

o

Thanks, Brandon, for the good info. I'll have to do some more research on the hackberry trees.

Duhhh, I meant plugs instead of caps. As you can see I am a beginner. :0)

Connie

o

You know that fresh logs will not adequately support the mushrooms, right? The lignins need to break down some first....depending on species this may take a while. Even in central TX you should be able to find down hardwood logs.....makes better sense than cut down your only trees and not know when they will become suitable. I assume you have a moist shaded area at the farm.

o

The lignin is one of the primary food sources for the fungi. A couple of weeks for the antimicrobial chemicals to loose efficacy and for the wood to dry a bit and you are in business.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here