Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pamghatten

Hay prices - gas prices?

pamghatten
15 years ago

We seem to have someone ask this every year. Most times I am at the lower end of the spectrum, thankfully.

But I got a rude awakening last nite when the guy that I get hay from stopped by to look at fixing my barn floor for me, and told me hay was going from $2.75 a bale to $4.00 a bale. These are the smaller or regular sized bales, not the really large/heavy ones. He told me another hay seller we know is going to $5.00 a bale.

It made me think of all of you, if my hay is going up that much, I can't imagine what some of you are paying?

So where are you, and how much are you paying for hay?

Comments (16)

• Dibbit
    15 years ago

Last I knew, which was a few weeks ago, a friend was buying square bales - not best quality as she has 2 retired "fatties" and very good grass, so they stand in a dry-lot all night and most of the PM - for $7-9.00 per bale, depending on availability. I think she said she paid $8.00 then.

• doninalaska
    15 years ago

I don't know what it is going to be here this year because no one has cut hay here yet this year--cold and the season is about 2 weks behind usual, but usually we pay around $8.00 per bale. I just invested in some pasture mix seed to expand my pastures. We don't have the capability to cut enough of our own hay to last through the winter here, but if we can get into September on pasture, it really helps a lot.

• yakimadn
    15 years ago

I pay just under $2 for a small sq (40 +/- pounds)and 30 for a 800+/- pound roll.

Dave

• pamghatten
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow Dave ... great prices! Where are you in Germany? I love Germany, have visited it 3 times, so far.

• chickadee_42us
    15 years ago

Square here are running over $7.00 and round bales delivered are $35.00.

• mersiepoo
    15 years ago

Last time I checked, small bales were going from the feed store at 3.00 a bale, but that was a few months ago..and those are the SMALL bales, really small ones.

I better invest in a scythe!

• kydaylilylady
    15 years ago

Depending upon what it is small square bales can run from $4.00 to $10.00 here.

Janet

• acorn
    15 years ago

OMG!!! I live in California, not only are we paying $4.85 a gallon we are paying $21.75 a bale for grass hay, $22.75 for alfalfa, $22.50 for oat hay. These are square bales 115lbs to 135lbs bales. When I first got horses we paid $35.00 a ton for alfalfa delivered and stacked. My horse is 29 and I know he is my last, I work at the feed store and get my feed for cost. Sad world we are moving to.

• Dibbit
    15 years ago

Well, the bales probably run about 40-60 lb., depending, so it's on a par with or higher than your prices, Acorn. Gas, on the other hand, was about $3.78 for regular when I got gas on Sat., at the cheapest station around.

Since we are back in drought conditions, despite a decently rainy spring, the first cutting of hay was sparse, and unless it rains a LOT, I don't know if there will be a second one any time soon. Most hay locally cut is cow hay - horse hay comes from out of state, mostly - there is some fescue locally baled.

• pamghatten
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ouch acorn ... I was waiting to hear some outrageous price like that.

Gas today, outside Buffalo, NY is $4.21 a gallon. The hay I get is timothy grass and will be $4 a bale. We had a really dry spring, but seem to be making up for it now. 1.5 inches of rain in the past 2 days, and rain forecasted all this week. (Though we know they lie! LOL)

• Happy2BeeME
    15 years ago

40# square bales last year were $4. pulled out of the barn and $3.50 out of the back of the wagon. (In the field)

We were just told this year $5. out of the barn and the field.

WOW!

gas reg unleaded $3.96/gal today

• yakimadn
    15 years ago

I'm about halfway between frankfurt and nurnburg where Bavaria, Hessen, Baden Wurtenburg, and Thuringen all come together. Big town nearest me is Schweinfurt. Where did you visit?

Dave

• yakimadn
    15 years ago

Gas costs about $10 a gallon here.

• pamghatten
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We know we've been "spoiled" by low gas prices as compared to Europe. We need to get our public transportation back to being a priority.

In Germany I visited: Dortmund (Buffalo, NY's sister city)I lived with a family for a month when I was 18, we visited all over the area close to Dortmund, Berlin in 1977, Hamburg - been there 3 times, Munich (took the train from Munich to Hamburg), Frankfurt ... I think that's it.

It's been many years, I need to visit again. It's one of my favorite countries. I'll need to look at a map to see where you are.

• skagit_goat_man_
    15 years ago

Grass hay here was $13 yesterday and alfalfa pellets were the same. We have two Alpine does, one is giving 7+ pounds of milk every day and the other about two pounds. Both have kids and are not separated. So since they both eat the same amount the lower producer is going to auction. Tom

• Dibbit
    15 years ago

I spoke yesterday to my sister who lives on Whidbey Island in WA. She said she was at the feed store earlier in the year, getting straw for mulch for her garden. Hay, the ordinary square bales, were then about $22 for 2-string bales, and $25 for 3-string bales. Hay was mostly, she thought, from east WA and alfalfa or alfalfa mix. Granted, the hay had to come over to the island on a ferry, but, OUCH!!!

Sponsored
Custom Residential Homes & Full Service Renovations