Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will my hens hatch out guinea eggs?

Posted by mailman22 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 27, 08 at 14:28

I have four broody girls and would like to place some guinea eggs under them. Will they hatch? Will they raise them?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will my hens hatch out guinea eggs?

a broody hen will hatch almost any eggs....and she'll most likely raise them.

ive never tried with guinea eggs, but my silkies have sat on all sorts of eggs and raised babies that weren't their own.

good luck!!

o

yep, what goatgirl said. I had a hen hatch out a turkey egg! That was a real odd couple! That big turkey trying to snuggle under mommas wing...lol.

o

Yes, the hens will sit the guinea eggs and raise the guinea chicks.
When we lived on a farm, we had chickens and guineas, my dear father-in-law always took the guinea eggs from the guinea moms. Let me tell you, he had to hunt for those nest, for the guineas hide their nest.
Reason for removing the eggs from free range guineas: the guineas leave the nest early in the morning before the grass is dry, if left with the guinea mom, the young baby guineas will not survive.
My farmer FIL said the chicks get wet and die. Is this true? I don't know, but that is what he always did. We would see him coming across the pasture with his hat in his hands and we knew he had a hat full of guinea eggs.
He was a true farmer, he knew his herds and they knew him, he walked among them everyday.
When old enough to survive, the young guineas are returned to the adult guineas, for guineas are unique with a unique nature. Plus, the best alarm system a farm family can have. LOL

o

I have heard somewhere that it is better to have something else hatch guineas. Don't ask me where I heard thatMy boss (big x-farmer) told me if I hatched guineas in an incubator they will see me first and recognize me as their momma and stay close to home. If your girls hatch them I would think the same applies, unless genetics take over. As hilltop pointed out guineas are not very good parents so you should be in a better position to let your other girls hatch and raise.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here