Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slc2053_gw

Landscaping ideas around barn

slc2053
13 years ago

We have a farm that is mostly open field. We have a pole barn on it that has an area turned into living quarters where we stay on weekends. However, theres not much to look at around the barn other than grass and field. WeÂve planted some fruit trees but want to landscape around the barn area to make the area more interesting and appealing. WeÂre not at the place full time (weekends and maybe a night during the week) so we donÂt want anything that needs daily maintenance.

IÂm thinking of a possible flower gardenÂmaybe even some vegetablesÂsome paths down to a small pond perhapsÂ.

I guess what IÂm asking is for some ideas and photos (or links to other websites) of landscaping around a barnÂsomething that looks natural but is colorful and interesting so it looks like the barn and its surrounding area has been established for years, is informal, yet looks good.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

• slc2053
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks Brendasue!

I agree about the maintenance...there's so much other stuff that must be done, and that I'd like to do, other than weed!!

We have plenty of hosta that we can split and start spreading around...we've already started actually and I plan to do that as much as possible...I'll look at the Rose of Sharon bushes....don't have any of those...we do have some lilac...we love those as well.

I want to plant wildflowers but don't know if I'll get around to that this year...seems like after what I've read I need to kill all the grass and weeds first, and wait a while and ensure everything in the area where I want to plant is dead before I plant the wildflowers...I hate waiting--I want instant beauty!!

Thanks again for the great ideas...

• yakimadn
    13 years ago

Where are you? Wet, dry?
    I cut some water maple trees once and used them for fence posts. Ended up with fresh trees growing from the posts (looked like a 10 or 15 year head start. Any kind of softwood would probably do it. Planted plenty of willows by braking off branches and sticking them in the ground.
    Just use your imagination.

Dave

• slc2053
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm in southeast Pennsylvania....we're planting plenty of norway spruce trees, various fruit trees, and some lilacs. But, we need an altnerative...maybe construct a greenhouse..I can't afford all of these trees!

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

If you get any sort of rain, I suggest that you do enough hardscape that you can walk around and enjoy your house without sinking up to your ankles in the mud.

Paths can be luxurious. I love costly cobble pathways. Or they can be nearly free. You can make them out of broken concrete or broken asphalt. Sometimes, if you are close by the construction companies will even deliver their broken concrete. It saves them an expensive dump fee.

Go heavy on bulbs. They are virtually no-care and have the most spectacular flowers.

Wild flowers are good.

I like blueberry bushes in landscape. It's a pretty plant and duel purpose. Ditto for some veggies. Use them like landscape plants instead of veggie garden plants.

• goodhors
    13 years ago

I would suggest setting any plantings be out and away from the barn itself. At least 5ft, but 6-7ft would be better so you could drive beside the barn if needed. Plantings give cover to varmints of all kinds, so mice and voles, RATS, woodchucks can easily burrow under and get into the barn. Also clean sides make it easy to weed spray, weed whack, to keep things neat. Gives you a path walk or work on the barn itself, should it need painting, or trim work repaired.

Trees and shrubs should be planted farther away, so they are not rubbing the sides of barn to take off paint, roof shingles, shading to allow mold to grow, growing into wooden siding. All the above are issues I have seen folks have to deal with on their barns.

We live in the country, an I keep all the barn foundations cleanly trimmed, no plantings. Fall and winter are when the rodents want to move in, any cover along the ground ecourages them closer. Cats help, but cover hides the varmints from view. Woodchucks or rats under the cement floor is a nighmare. Cement cracks, gets unlevel. Dirt floor barn allows rodents to pop up inside where ever they please to make a home! No outside cover helps because the animals don't like being exposed as they shop for new homes.

Old farmer lore says a tall Black Walnut tree will draw lightning because it is oily wood. Around here, almost all old barns had a nearby Black Walnut planted, or you can find the old stump. So if you have a place away from the animals, where you could put in a tree, that might be a good idea. However, Black Walnut is toxic with the jugalone in it for horses, probably also for other grazing animals. Any and all parts are toxic, leaves, nuts, roots, bark, sawdust, so this tree should be out of pasture areas. Animals with sufficient grazing don't bother such trees, but mischevious or bored animals might chew on it for fun.

Many of the old sayings have some truth, so Black Walnuts attracting a lightning strike instead of the barn, could easily be true. Better to hit the tree than the barn!

I would advise mass plantings, in your beds, repeated down a long bed. Or several plants in corner or island type beds to make larger clumps. Plant them far enough apart, so they have LOTS of room to fill out and you can move between for mulching and weeding. Lets you enjoy farm time, not having to do "garden chores" of picky weeding many small clumps.

Barn things are done on a bigger scale than house gardens, viewed from further away. So fewer types of plants, in big clumps for spots of color. Hedging of fruit bushes serves a double purpose with wind control outside the animal reach.

You might visit neighbors to make yourselves known, admire their flowers or shrubs and get some starts. ESPECIALLY if you offer to dig them yourself. Iris, lilacs, daylilies are easy giveaways here. Might be able to get some self-seeded small trees if you asked and dug up carefully. I would give away Hickory starts, Oaks of several types, so I don't have to weed whack them! Just ideas to save some dollars, foster good neighbors.

• slc2053
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks goodhors..and to all who have commented.

We live in west/central PA....have a metal pole barn that we're trying to landscape around. I've attached a poto of the barn shortly after it was built...we've since planted grass in the area in front of the windows and there's grass all around...we've planted arbovitae down the driveway to the barn to help block the snow drifts when they get a little bigger in a couple of years. The driveway is just to the left in the photo..and the road to our place is behind the barn about 200 feet.

I'm trying to put something out the windows to look at. Right now, as stated, there is grass for about 100-150 yards, then there's the woods..but am wanting something in between.

Thanks for all of your suggestions goodhors..I appreciate all of the detail. I need all the advice I can get!

{{gwi:41593}}

• flowerchild59
    13 years ago

I like big flowering shrubs like rugosa roses, butterfly bushes, smoke bush (ok, small tree), new jersey tea, lilacs, twig dogwoods, native plants are nice too.