Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rebekah23_gw

Ear mites in dogs

rebekah23
12 years ago

Hi, this is my first post! I have been battling ear mites in my 4 dogs for the past few weeks. It seems like one or two of the dogs will start to clear up, but then I guess they are reinfecting each other. It is exhausting cleaning then treating all 8 ears! The medicine I am using is called Excel Ear Mite Remedy (active ingredients: Pyrethrins 0.06%, Piperonyl Butoxide, Technical 0.60%) and I am treating every other day. I am cleaning with organic apple cider vinegar (I read ACV could actually be used to get rid of ear mites, so I tried that first but it didn't work).

I hate to take them to the vet for this, but it may be getting to that point because I can't seem to get their ears clear. Do any of you have any experience with this?

Thanks,

Rebekah

Comments (5)

• pamghatten
    12 years ago

Sorry, I can't help ... but you might want to ask the people on the Pets forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable people and a vet or 2 that answer questions there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pets Forum

• rodneys
    12 years ago

I've heard food-grade diatomaceous earth kills bugs on pets. You may want to browse online about DE and pets

• curdog007
    12 years ago

Try 50/50 alcohol/ H2O2. Give a good squirt in the ear and massage to get it all the way down. They will try shaking their ears off.

• akaj9
    12 years ago

I mixed alcohol, vinegar and ummm...some monistat...as my friend recently took hers to the vet for ear mites and a yeast infection was in there too....I have a lab...she hated it...but after a few doses she doesn't seem to be having any troubly. I just shook it all up in a baby bottle and administered it that way...I can't say it's the right thing to do...just that it worked for us... Years back I took a lab puppy in, and she too had a yeast infection...so it seemed practical to use a bit of the monistat to me :)

• zena3546
    12 years ago

your vet might sell you a big bottle of mitaclear for all of them if your on good terms with the vet. meaning some vets want you to bring in a pet for anything they can get you in for. not my kind of vet i might add. you treat them once a day for 7-10 days. if its an infection..you definitely need another medication for that..also to get from the vet. they arent expensive if the vet doesnt request a visit. i know they sell OTC ear mite medication but not sure how good it is.

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider