Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help duck hatching Egg

Posted by Walt-Deb wa (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 12 at 15:28

I have a duck hen setting on eggs ready to hatch any time do I separate the hen and drake for the hatching?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help duck hatching Egg

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 14:43

if not too late...

don't have to separate if you have a large enough pen

drake shouldn't attack them, but be on guard for possibility

our experience is those eggs hatch on the morning of the 28th day of incubating

mother duck hen is efficient and will stay on the nest with the ducklings until the last one is hatched or if separated by more than 24 hours will take off the ducklings and leave any eggs on the nest.

Make sure if ducklings have access to water they also have a ramp so they can climb out. The adult ducks won't help them and their shorter legs don't either. It is easier for them to enter than get out.

Improvise with what you have making sure that it's not a slick surface. Blocks of wood screwed or nailed together on either side of the pool like a step up & over & down work as does wire covered wood ramps. Wet wood is slick for them and slimes up quickly in a duck environment. Watch out for sharp wire edges that could injure them.

Fluffy down isn't as efficient as preened adult feathers, so they will get wet and need to dry off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here