Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliette_2009

First Serama Hatch - 14 of 14!

juliette_2009
14 years ago

I am amazed! I am in shock! I am euphoric! I had 14 Serama eggs in incubator #1, 10 in incubator #2 (due to hatch next Friday)...All 14 eggs in incubator #1 were fertile, and all 14 hatched between last night and just a few minutes ago! I am using a Genesis 1588, hand turning just twice a day. I still have my fingers crossed for the next 24 hours, just in case that dreaded lethal gene I keep reading about rears it's ugly head...

Yippee!

Juliette

Wadmalaw Island, SC

www.pixiechickens.com

Comments (7)

• velvet_sparrow
    14 years ago

Great job, chicken mom! Got any pictures to share?

I'm in dire need of baby chick cuteness, I lost one of my favorite hens yesterday due to vet stupidity...

Velvet ~:>

• nelda1234
    14 years ago

Congratulations new chicken mom---good for you! Baby chick cuteness pictures a must!:)

Velvet: Sorry to hear about your loss:(-what happened?

• velvet_sparrow
    14 years ago

My vet of 10 years shorted her medication dose, and was making me bring her back in every 3-5 days, for an oral fungal infection--to the tune of nearly $300.00. When she was near death and I got pissed and went to his office to refill the meds at the CORRECT dose, they were rude, lied to me, vet at first said OK to refill but then went away and did not return. Because of them making me come back in every few days for another office visit and another few days worth of meds, they'd drained my bank account dry. I had enough cash to cover the third office visit & meds except for $8.00. I asked them to carry the $8.00 until this Tuesday, when I get paid, they refused. Finally after two hours of me waiting there I was ordered to leave. :(

I found out later through my own research that they had only given her 1/4 of the dose needed to cure the problem, and barely enough for 6 days. Normal course of treatment for something like this is 7-14 days. She never had a chance, poor thing. By the time I got home, Maggie was dead.

Some people will do anything for money these days, and now I need a new vet. :(

Sorry for the derail, I don't want to turn cute chick thread into a thread about my hen.

I want Seramas SO BAD!!!

• gardendawgie
    14 years ago

velvet_sparrow I hate the vets. One took me last year for $2200 when all the dog needed was an antibiotic pill.

I do not have any chickens yet. But I do find the Seramas very interesting. I would love to have some but we shall see. I like the idea of small beautiful chickens. I have always been attracted to the small bantams and the jungle fowl. Juliette super congratulations. I watched your video on YouTube. They are so precious. Surely the gift from God of 14 out of 14 was letting you know how much god loves you. Just wallow in the love. When you experience love for the Serama remember that you are really experiencing love inside of yourself and you are really experiencing God inside of yourself. The One True God.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    14 years ago

You do know that you can file malpractice suits against vets right? but I'm off topic, congratulations on your hatch!

• gardendawgie
    14 years ago

2nd batch is 11 out of 11.

I wanna know more about your incubator.

• velvet_sparrow
    14 years ago

Yep, I'm going to file a complaint with the vet licensing board for my state, and wherever else is appropriate.

I saw the videos too, very cool! The still pics cracked me up, you can sure spot the roos! :)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES