Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chick_mom

Velvet, need your help

chick_mom
15 years ago

I went away overnight and spouse put broody hen's one little egg in the fridge with others.. It would be dead wouldn't it after 12 plus hours?? I just couldn't throw it away if there was a chance it might make it.. She has been sitting on it for over two weeks and this was her first attempt at brooding.. If it is dead and I gave her a couple more fertile eggs would she still hatch them??

Thanks,

Kit

Comments (9)

• velvet_sparrow
    15 years ago

It's most likely no good anymore, it may have survived for a while, maybe up to 30 minutes or so...but over 12 hours, I doubt it.

I'd let her try again with fresh eggs. You might mark them with a large X in pencil so you guys can tell them apart from fresh eggs at a glance, that's what we do.

Good luck with your first time mom! :)

Velvet ~:>

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

I read on the internet that some people have taken eggs from the grocery store and sucessfully incubated and hatched them. I do not know how true that is but I would still give your egg a try. and say a little prayer for it too.

• chick_mom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you both! I feel so sorry for her, but then I tend to empathize with animals.. I put it back under her so she would stay out of the other nests.. I will run down the road to a neighbor and see if he has some fertile eggs..or better yet one or two close to hatching. Thanks, so much for your advice. I will leave it there for awhile, it should have hatched by the end of this coming week.. pray for a miracle.. Don't really need any more chickens but she has been really protective of this one little egg of hers..

• dunwaukin
    15 years ago

Not sure about getting eggs from grocery store and hatching them -- most grocery stores buy eggs from large run producers, and hens are in battery cages.
    OF course, if it's a little corner store, they might be eggs from hens loose with a rooster.

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

well I should know that one can not believe everything that is said on the Internet and I promise I did not make it up. Here is what I read...

"Even a grocery store egg has the potential to hatch. Lots of people buy eggs from the grocery and set them to hatch. They are usually leghorn or some cross bred brown layer."

But now that I think of it more logically, you are right Duwaukin, that is probably local grown eggs because hatcheries kill the roosters so no chance of the eggs getting fertilized.

Sorry chick_mom...

I hope you don't lose your chick...

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is where I read it...

• velvet_sparrow
    15 years ago

Interesting site, here is the entire paragraph:

"Even a grocery store egg has the potential to hatch. Lots of people buy eggs from the grocery and set them to hatch. They are usually leghorn or some cross bred brown layer. Health food stores will often have fertile eggs for sale. There is no difference in taste in a fertile or a nonfertile eggs. If you did not know an egg was fertile there is no way you would know it when you are preparing it for food."

This is only true of FERTILE eggs sold in specialty (health Food) stores that have not been refrigerated, NOT the dozen of eggs you get from Ralphs or Vons. Since supermarket eggs come from battery hens, which never get near a rooster, they have no potential to develop into a chick at all, they aren't fertile.

Her last line is not quite true, either--you CAN tell if a fresh egg is fertile by cracking it into a dish and looking for the Blastoferm (fertile)/blastodisc (infertile), which indicates fertility or lack thereof. This page has a terrific explanation with pics, it's VERY handy to know, read the section on 'Fresh Egg Breakout':

http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/b1166-w.html

But you can't tell by taste. :)

Anyway, best of luck with your hatch!

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

velvet. I really feel silly now thinking she could have been talking about Food Lion or Piggly Wiggly or what ever (supermarket) eggs. LOL can I hide my head in shame now?

Maybe I should have read the whole page.

• velvet_sparrow
    15 years ago

*L* No, don't do that! But I agree, the way she phrased it was odd, and could very easily be misconstrued.

I still do hope the best for your eggs, baby chicks are awesome. :)

• chick_mom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have heard that when eggs are freshly laid and don't drop below 50 degrees I think they can be incubated even after a couple of days.. I do believe that this little egg is a goner but will give it until the end of the week.. I may candle it today and see if I can see any movement.. DUH, why didn't I think of that the other day?? I am trying to find some banty eggs but if I can't I will give her some of the reg. eggs.. I have two banty roosters who try to cover all my hens short and tall..
    thanks again,
    Kit

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?