Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Cat attacked one of my ducklings!

Posted by christa_duckling (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 8, 07 at 17:10

Last night a cat got into my ducks pin and got one of the ducklings. The cat bit into the muscle part of the ducklings left leg. I am afraid that the babys leg is now paralyzed or broken. (He will not move the leg at all just drags it around when moving). He does not jump or show any signs of feeling in the leg. It has only been a day and I dont know what I should do for him. Maybe Mother Nature will take care of him? Any suggestions to what I should do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Cat attacked one of my ducklings!

That's so sad!! I'm sorry about the little baby. It sounds like the cat broke it :( My duck's leg got broken (or either she twisted it) and she couldn't walk right for over a month so my mom just bandaged it up and it got better. I'd keep him inside if you're not already at least until his leg is better -- Good Luck!!

Genny

o

Did your duck heal? If so, what position did you splint the leg in (straight out or in a sitting position)? I believe my duck has a broken leg. It just hangs there. He is young (7-8 weeks old). I just got him. I feel terrible for him and don't want to put him down, but I don't want him to suffer either. I'd take him to a vet but money is really tight. I need help. I feel terrible. Any suggestions?

o

In most cases splinting the leg will go a long way to help it heal. Its a shame that Cat owners think that their animals have any place out in the wild.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here