Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sumac_gw

injured duck

sumac
18 years ago

Some coyote pups were spotted near the pond today and sure enough they got one of our ducks! DH must have inturruped the attack as he went down there to mow. Poor thing looks like hell. We will catch him and his partner this evening and put him in sick bay(their winter pen) to reccuperate. My question is does anybody know what I can put on his injuries (some open wounds)to help him heal and keep the flies out?

Comments (12)

• breezyb
    18 years ago

Maggot infestation is going to be your biggest problem while his injuries are healing. Is there any way you can bring him indoors for awhile?

• velvet_sparrow
    18 years ago

There is a product you can get at most pet stores called Kwik-Stop, it stops bleeding. In a pinch you can use cornstarch or flour to staunch blood flow as well. Get the wounds as clean as possible first and either apply some Neosporin or other antibiotic ointment (not thick enough so the animal can preen and ingest it though) and then the Kwik-Stop. Keep the duck warm and quiet to guard against shock, and you can give it a boost also by providing it unflavored Pedialyte (from the baby aisle at the grocery store) in place of water. The Pedialyte provides electrolytes which helps stressed animals. You can also mix in a bird antibiotic from the pet store such as Ornacyn into the Pedialyte or water. Crush the tablets first or they take forever to dissolve. You may have to keep the duck from swimming until it has healed. To keep out flies you may have to screen your enclosure. There is a good article here on cell migration to help heal large, open wounds on birds, but the whole Shagbark Bantams site is terrific:

http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/cell.htm

I'm not that experienced on what is OK for ducks, I mainly raise chickens so if another duck person nixs my advice listen to them! :) You can also hunt the Internet for duck injury advice, there are many sites out there.

Good luck!

Velvet

• jabburk
    18 years ago

We had a dog attack our chicken and it had a huge chunk of meat torn out. We did know if our chicken would make it or not. It was very gory and the flies were landing in it, so I rinsed out the would with peroxide and then wrapped and ace bandage around the wound and then the body of the chicken. I was teased by the whole neighborhood, and am probably the only lady that has wrapped an ace bandage around her chicken, but the chicken survived, and is very friendly, runs up to us like a dog.
    Good luck
    give your duck lots of tlc

• CHERRYCIRCUS
    18 years ago

WE HAD A YOUNG DUCK ATTACKED BY A RACOON ALMOST TO DEATH. SHE WAS BROUGHT INSIDE AND GIVEN A BATH IN WARM WATER WITH EPSOM SALTS. IT HELP SOOTHE THE PAIN AND WILL HELP DRY OUT THE WOUNDS. THEN WE CLEANED OUT THE WOUNDS WITH PEROXIDE. IT DOESNT HURT THE DUCK BUT THEY GET SKWIRMY WITH IT IM SURE THE FOAMING FEELS WEIRD TO THEM THEN THE CUTS WERE COVERED IN IODINE. AT FIRST WE KEPT HER SEPERATE FROM THE OTHER DUCKS BUT SHE TENDED TO BE IN BETTER SPIRITS WHEN TOGETHER WITH THEM. WE GAVE HER THE BATHE TWICE A DAY AND THEN DID THE PEROXIDE AND IODINE EVERYTIME AFTER THE BATH AND EVERY TIME WE WENT TO GO CHECK ON HER TO KEEP IT NICE AND CLEAN. I HOPE THIS HELPS. IS THERE WING OR BEAK DAMAGE?

• mhebert
    16 years ago

One of my ducks was attacked by a dog yesterday, since the attack it doesn't seem to have any nerve sensation in the leg has any one ever heard of a one legged duck?

• JMU9088_aol_com
    13 years ago

I have secured my duck in his pen after being bitten and cleaned his wound he was limping so dont know the damage and no vets here treat ducks and its Sat. nite may have to wait till Mon and go with home remedies

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

Sine we are being spammed at every turn by the barn animals ads, I've decided not to visit that site, because they appear to be rude and aggressive. Not to mention, irritating.

There are all kinds of wound dressings made for horses that you can put onto ducks. Horses have delicate skin and ducks are tough animals. Anything made for horses can go onto the wounds on a duck.

Myself, I like neosporin, but that gets kind of expensive for large areas. There are similar meds in 1 pound tins available for horses. There are also spray on wound coatings that are sometimes a lot easier to apply than ointments.

You might ad a bit of antibiotic to the drinking water or feed

• smithbridie59_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

will a duck's wing feathers grow back he was attacked by a dog

• rayerlaura_sbcglobal_net
    12 years ago

One of our ducks was bitten on the foot by a snapping turtle. There is a tear in the thin part of his webbed foot, but no blood or other injury. Will the foot heal by itself???

• jeannierose
    11 years ago

I think my Pekin Duck hurt her leg. She is walking funny, she stretches up straight and drops her but low. She uses her wing for balance. I don't know what to do.

• oliveoyl3
    11 years ago

jeannierose:
    ducks can slip a ligament or tendon easily and it's called splayed or spraddled leg
    happens when they're running and slip
    make sure ducks are housed & penned where they can't be chased by dogs or kids

make a hobble for the duck out of yarn -- tie onto one leg loosely, but tight enough to stay on the leg & not slip over the foot -- tie the other end on to the other leg with the distance between the legs as it should be-- essentially the yarn keeps the legs together a bit more & the one doesn't splay out to the side --

if caught in time the leg will regain control & she will resume normal walking

we've done it a few times and healing was quick

be sure to check on duck several times a day and replace the yarn is it tears
    you don't want to use anything stronger and dig into the leg when stretched tight

Confining the duck to a smaller area will speed healing
    but away from the flock will cause it stress

If there is a way to confine the flock for a few days that might work best or confine a few of them into a smaller pen with with food & water and enough room to get around without stepping on each other.

• Batflower
    9 years ago

The end of my ducks feathers are splitting & breaking & I have no clue why..?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!