Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cyst/growth on hen's wing bow

Posted by caliopi (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 21, 09 at 17:23

One of our hens has a ping-pong size cyst/growth on her left bow wing. It is hard and has no feathers. It does not seem to be painful and she seem to be fine. Any ideas? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cyst/growth on hen's wing bow

Can you post a pic of it? Is there any chance she's broken her wing?

Unfortunately, growths like this are not good news. If it is hard, it is likely tissue and not fluid, so is not a cyst or abcess (which is more treatable). I'd take her to the vet right away for a diagnosis.

My vet has told me in the past that chickens are susceptible to something like 300+ types of cancers and growths. I once had a Polish hen who had a growth like the one you describe at the base of her tail--otherwise she was healthy and perky. All we could do it keep her comfortable and happy until she went, about a week later. But she was active and in no pain right up until she died. The growth just sucked all of her body's energy and nutrients away.

I wish I had happier things to tell you, but that was the experience I had with my hen and that's the info I got from my vet, for what it's worth. I'd take her to a vet and get a diagnosis to start, meanwhile keep her warm, comfortable and quiet, and make sure the other birds don't peck at her. Make sure she is eating and drinking normally, and that she doesn't have any other symptoms.

Good luck with her!

Velvet ~:>

o
RE: cyst/growth on hen's wing bow

Hey caliopi, how is the hen? Any pictures of the lump?

Velvet ~:>

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here