Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
re-integrating hen to flock-REJECTED!

Posted by saffron_parasol 4a (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 17:44

I have a hen that had been severely injured by my roo's spurs. She's larger than most of the others and was mid-to-high in the pecking order. She's all healed up now, and re-integrating her has been difficult. Seems 2 of the other hens want to kill her. Every time the roo mounts her, the other 2 try to pick her eyes out. I had another hen killed this way, by other hens, a while back, so I remove her when this begins. They ALL got along fine before this happened. The 2 that go after her are not known for being this way, and the flock in general is quite docile. Why is this hapening, and what can I do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: re-integrating hen to flock-REJECTED!

Hopefully, you have been keeping this poor picked on hen segregated from the killers.

There is a chicken expert who posts here named Velvet Sparrow. Her link is below. I recall reading info about chicken dominance and how to instill domestic tranquility. Great pics there as well.

A link that might be useful.

http://jackshenhouse.com/

o
RE: re-integrating hen to flock-REJECTED!

Remove the rooster until she's well-integrated. And unless you are actively raising chicks of a specific breed, there is no reason to keep a rooster.

You need to break up the bullying pair. Removing the victim merely encourages the bullies -

1 - Remove both bullies
2 - Re-integrate the hen
3 - Re-integrate ONE of the bullies and observe the behavior.
4 - Finally, reintegrate the other.

If they are persistent despite, you have reached the "this flock isn't big enough for all of you" decision and may have to permanently remove one or more of them. Keep the best layer and turn the rest into chicken salad.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here