Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pom POm headed duck question.

Posted by goldenpond (V.B.FL 9b) (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 10, 09 at 18:06

Several of my ducklings have HUGE pompoms.One has a double ,one on top of the other only it hangs down. When preening the thing actually goes around in circles.I can see skin in there so I assume there is blood vessels or is it cartilage?
My concern is it getting caught and bleeding. The other ducks all pull at the pom pom heads in fun.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pom POm headed duck question.

The (Cr) gene is a mutation that when homozygous is fatal and most die in the shell.. The skull opens in the embryonic stage and then closes, things dont always work out the best and sometimes the crests are problematic, some ducks will even have more severe problems, neurological. The crest skin, blood, feathers and so on. They can sometimes be injured by pecking from others. Its best to breed a crested to a non crested getting a percentage of cr duklings, breeding 2 ducks which are cr gives more crested ducklings but also more chances of problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here