Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Goose going upside down

Posted by ButterfieldFarm Virginia (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 30, 12 at 18:08

The first time I had this happen, I thought it was just a fluke, but I'm now wondering what may be going on. At about five months old, I had a gosling get stuck upside down, fairly regularly. I kept putting him back in the right positions and a little disoriented, he eventually grew out of it I guess, but still never was the favored gaggle member. Not this year at about the same age, I discovered one of this years hatch doing the same thing. For the last few days I've been rescuing her and putting her back in the right position. Unfortunately, she did it during the night because this morning I found her dead -- on her back. Very sad indeed. Has anyone ever experienced this? I'm thinking this is natures way of culling the imperfect from the flock. Still doesn't make it better...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Goose going upside down

I've never heard of such a thing. Maybe a search online will bring some results. You've had more than 1 with this issue, so that means something is amiss and it's not just a fluke. Could be a genetic thing or maybe the diet?

Are they getting a balanced diet?

I'm sorry you lost him.

o
RE: Goose going upside down

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 12:01

Check what feed you're using. Vitamins in older feed has lost potency. Vitamin E might be missing. Heat, sunlight, and processing takes their toll on vitamins.

Several years ago we had a bantam chick put head between legs & walk in circles. We did some research and came up with the vit E deficiency called crazy chick disease. We surmised that since the feed bag was up in the loft and we watched the store employee climb up to get it that feed was old.

We supplemented her feed her with twice a day vit E oil from a capsule into her beak and within a week she was quite improved. Once standing upright and walking forward again we put her with the rest of the chicks and she did fine. There was nothing noticeable about her growth or behavior after that. We had her for a long time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here