Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Inheriting a Farm

Posted by vilasman none (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 5, 11 at 18:25

I will be inheriting around 60 acres which is part of a larger tract of 200 or so acres. I have access to all of it. Most of it's cleared, we already have tractors and bulldozer and such. I live about 4 hrs away. For years I have been trying to figure out what to do with it. I see from this forum that it tales awhile to build things up to the point that it produces any kind of income. Currently a relative has about 20 cows on it with a breeding bull. Not sure if we will keep the cows when he gets to be to old to take care of them. I am looking for information or a forum that discusses farm related topics on this scale

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Inheriting a Farm

Well, what would you LIKE to be able to do with this land? Do you see it as a mainly one-use type thing such as a dairy farm, or as a multiple-use, live-on-property, gentleman farmer kind of thing, with many varied animals, fruit orchard, vegetable garden, hayfield, etc.? What buildings are on site?

Also, what kind of land is it--flat, hilly, dry, boggy? How is the soil, will it support growth of crops, and what is the year round weather like? IS there an abundant water supply, a stream, a well?

That's a nice chunk of land in this day & age to come into. :) Think about how much it will cost you in property taxes, insurance, etc. when planning what to use it for. Lots of good information here, although lately it's been a bit quiet. We tend to get more of the hobby farmers here, but you could also look into homesteading forums.

Velvet ~:>

o

Velvet has very good questions, and your future farming venture should be based on those answers.

If it were mine (and not knowing the answers to the questions above) I would put in a few greenhouses, an orchard, a herd of meat goats to be sold for meat with perhaps dairy goats for making soaps ect for a hobby. Maybe some bees & maple syrup if you have maple trees. All are easy enough to do and can help sustain the farm.

Water on the property would help make things easier.

Once you can determine what you want to do with your acreage, there are specialty forums with detailed information for each segment of your plan.

Brendasue

o

If you don't have time to do the work yourself, could you lease the property to someone who can farm it for you?

I have a friend in N. Dakota who inherited 600 acres. They didn't live in the area and let the caretaker run things after their parents passed. They sold 5 prime acres (w/water) to the caretaker who is trying to hound them into giving him more. He is blackening their name in the small town where the farm is located.

If you decide to sell/lease any part of it, make sure you use a lawyer who is familiar with the laws regarding mineral/water rights, etc.

Links that might be useful:

forums.gardenweb.com/forums/homest/

www.homesteadingtoday.com/

www.farmland.org/resources/fote/states/top20.asp

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here