Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fast Butcher of a Chicken

Posted by gardendawgie (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 25, 09 at 19:36

Well it is not a chicken. They do this with a pheasant but why not try it with a chicken. This is so amazing this video. You just have to watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUJ5PIytnIE

I wonder if you have to take the wings off first or can skip that part.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Another Technique

This is another fast technique. You can find this method on Quail. But this one they do 3 at the same time. Do not bother after the first 30 seconds. But the first 30 sec is educational.

Of course with a chicken we want to save the legs and the back might be trouble. I don't know. Has anyone experience in these techniques.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fast Filet of Pheasant on you tube.

o
Bird Breaster

I found the machine used in the first video. Also easy to find the one in the 2nd video on the auto bumper.

The wall one is $225 and the bumper one is $150 plus riser. figure $200. I like the wall model. The auto model can be good for hunters.

the car bumper is http://www.waterfowljunkie.com/bird-hitch.html

but the wall machine is below.

This should work good on chickens and might be a way to grow more meat birds and clean them faster. Of course you still would want the legs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bird Breaster Machine

o
Need some mathematics

OK lets say we do the fast butchering of chickens and we get the breast and of course we take the legs. How much are we throwing away to save time and money on the butchering. Good Question.

here is a good item on the internet. This guy broke down a store bought large chicken. I always wondered how this might break down. Well here is what he said.

I had heard of a suggestion that you could save quite a bit of money by butchering your own chicken, so I thought Id give it a try. Last week a Purdue Oven Roaster whole chicken was on sale for $0.99, so we picked up a 6.73 lb. chicken for $6.66 (ooooh, creepy!). This was the first time I butchered a chicken, so it took a little longer than it will in the future, and it took me about a half an hour to complete.

Here's what I got out of a 6.73 lb. oven roaster chicken:

10.8 oz. Wings
30.2 oz. Drumsticks & Sides
30.4 oz. Breasts
22.0 oz. Carcass
8.0 oz. Innards Sack (neck, gizzards, etc.)
3.7 oz. Skin

The total weight of all that was 105.1 oz, meaning the package had 2.58 oz. of plastic wrapping and liquid. So, was it worth it? If we peg the price of chicken breast at $2.99 and the wings, drumsticks, and sides at $1.79 (those are typical prices here), we get a total value of $5.68 for the chicken breast and $4.59 for the wings, drumsticks & sides. On that meat alone, we have a total value of $10.27 C or we saved $3.61 and thats not even counting everything else. I tossed the skin but used the carcass and the sack of innards to make chicken stock.

$3.61 on $6.66? Thats a return of 54%. Not bad right?

In the end though, the process did take a half hour so from a strictly time is money perspective, it may or may not be worth it to you. Personally, I thought it was a fun experiment.
+++++ +++++++ ++++++ ++++++++++++ +++++++ ++++++

But of course we want different mathematics. We are keeping 60.6 ounces out of 105. for about 60%. We are throwing away 40%.

Personally I do not think they get much for the backs. The backs are mostly fat and bone. They are used some for making chicken stock. The wings really have very little meat. mostly skin and bone but do sell well for chicken wings.

But I suspect that for our own use and freezing up in the freezer that we are doing well. we can process butcher more than twice the birds in the time.

Somewhere it said that 70 to 75% of the live weight of modern broiler crosses are saleable. meaning skin and carcass. So he bought 105 ounces which was 70% of 150 ounces /16 = 9.375 pounds live weight approx. That was a big bird. Our final harvest is 60.6 ounces out of almost 10 pounds comes to 60/150 = .40 = 40% of live weight.

60/105 = 57%

Lets say it cost me $1 a pound to grow out a roaster to 105 ounces of cleaned up carcass weight. I keep 60 ounces of that. So my cost of the good meat is $1/.57 = $1.75

It does not look like I have a bargain any more. Did I do the math correctly ???

Here is a link that might be useful: Article on butchering a chicken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here