Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brunswickcounty

Problems with Frontline Flea Control

brunswickcounty
18 years ago

Hi -- Just wondering if anyone else has had problems with FrontLine flea control products? I treated both of my cats 3 weeks ago with frontline, then noticed a tick on one of my cats yesterday, right near her ear. Frontline was the only product "guaranteed" to kill fleas AND ticks, according to my vet. Anyways, after I saw the tick, I decided to give each of the cats a once-over with a flea comb, and they were both infested with fleas! My dog had also been treated at the same time with Frontline for dogs, and doesn't seem to have any fleas (Yet!)

Comments (105)

• raul_in_mexico
    18 years ago

Normally when a product has expired the active ingredient begins to degradate and slowly but surely will diminish it´s power so the results will not be what you expect. They are not harmful, they just don´t work anymore.

• chiefgraybear
    18 years ago

Has anyone tried Diaotamus (sp?) Earth? Some nurserys carry it. It's commonly called D.E. and is used in diatom aquarium filters. It's made from fosilized saltwater microrganizms. The tiny shells of the organizms cut the fleas and ticks to death! You can put it on the pets and on their yard area as well. If you want REAL tick control, I suggest that you get a couple of guineas. They just love to eat ticks, as well as other garden pests. We are prone to ticks, fleas, cut worms, wood bees, and a bunch of other pests here in East Tennessee, but the guineas sure keep them knocked down. Good luck to all, Gray Bear

• raul_in_mexico
    18 years ago

Borax also works as a charm in environmental flea control, it dehydrates flea eggs and nymphs. Tick and fleas require a double approach, on the animal and in the environment, if you don´t practice both in your home the problem won´t go away.

• bruglover
    18 years ago

glassquilt -

There's a granular product that has worked well for us, called Ant, Flea and Tick Killer Granules, around $15 for 10 lbs, which treats 5,000 sq. ft. We buy ours at the big W. I think there are several similar products, made by different companies. It's permethrin. A nice side benefit where we live is fire ants don't establish in the treated sections.

Raul - Borax works great to keep fleas from breeding in carpeting. I use the very fine powder sold for roach control and work a small amount into the carpet.

Chiefgraybear - AFAIK, the diatomaceous earth that's said to be good for bug control is different than what's put in pool filters. Also I read that it's real bad to breathe it; I wouldn't want to apply it to an animal for that reason. It doesn't work when it's wet, so I don't know how much good it would do in the yard.

• raul_in_mexico
    18 years ago

That´s exactly what I´m talking about, ENVIRONMENTAL control, it´s what you don´t see what makes the problem worse. You can always kill fleas and ticks ON THE ANIMAL, Frontline, Revoulution, soap, shampoo, dip, you name it they all work on the animal, the pest ( fleas or ticks ) have to be on the animal in order to work, they don´t kill what´s out there and it´s what´s out there what makes the problem bigger.

• narcnh
    18 years ago

Well, I'll add my 'Frontline failure' experience to the mix. I have a Chow, Cord the Wonder Chow, who will be eight this January. He and I take long walks around the property, and during the summer he is out most of the day, while I tend to the property. For all his life I have used Frontline Plus to control ticks. Fortunately, I have never seen a flea on him, so that's a non-issue around here. I was told by the vet that the active ingredient is released into the dog's oils and coats the fur. With a dog as furry as a Chow, the vet said that any tick would die before it ever made it through the fur and to the skin. For all the years I've been using FLP, I never saw a tick on Cord. Until this year. I found two ticks on him, both burrowed into the skin, both dead. Also, this spring for the first time he tested positive for Lyme disease and had to be treated (fortunately, he hasnÂt exhibited any symptoms). So, not just big, brown dog ticks, but also at least one deer tick got through.

From what I have read here, either many fleas and ticks across the entire country have suddenly and simultaneously become immune to Frontline, or else there was a problem with the quality of the product this year. I suspect the latter, but either way I am finished with Frontline.

Revolution sounds like a good product and I am going to try it next year. My dog gets better medical attention than I do (he gets an annual checkup, which is more than I can say for myself), and the small additional expense is nothing in comparison to his health.

• telly2
    18 years ago

I stopped using Frontline on my dogs & cats years ago, when I noticed that it had the same effect as putting drops of water on their back - just made the fleas giggle. I have used K9 Advantix and Revolution, and have been pretty happy with both. Like a previous poster said, the Revolution is great for cats with ear mites.
    I now buy all my flea prevention products online from Jeffers Pet after reading about other people's experience buying online.
    I also agree with keeping guinea fowl if you have the right area for them....no more ticks (a guinea's favorite treat), and environmentally friendly too.

• borderguard
    18 years ago

Interestingly,

I took my rescue female Border Collie to the Vet for intestinal tract infection... and during conversation, he stated that various states have reported occasional complete resistance by flea populations to Frontline. Builders have begun to use Fipronil as a general pest control as part of soil treatment before building! Probable cause of resistance.

Finally, I've begun to hear about what i've seen with my borders, causing me to switch successfully to Advantage. So far, I've been treating 2-3 times per year, and no fleas have stayed around.

• larry23
    18 years ago

We have been using Advantage on our dogs for some time; works well but is expensive. The active ingredient is Imidacloprid by Bayer. Merit 75Wp by Bayer also is Imidacloprid and is marketed for plants. Anyone out there using diluted Merit 75 on their animals? The cost savings would be huge...

• kasenow_earthlink_net
    17 years ago

My 5 cats were treated with Frontline Plus less than 3 weeks ago, and are now invested with fleas. The Frontline was purchased from a vet in November 2006. The package has no expiration or manufacturing date. I have never had this problem with Frontline before now. I think I'll try Advantage...

• jillylam
    17 years ago

I have used Frontline Plus on my two labs for the past 5 years. They have never had fleas but one was just diagnosed with Lyme Disease. It showed up in a preventative blood test so we caught it and treated it before any symptoms started. My other lab just had a tick on her last week (all filled up with blood) so now we have to watch her too. As mentioned in an earlier post, I agree that maybe it is a good idea to switch brands after so many years and then maybe switch back again later on.

• bethw
    17 years ago

I don't regularly use flea products on our indoor cats, but after we took in a stray a year ago, they all needed treatment. Frontline, which I had used for a flea outbreak years earlier, was completely ineffective. Our vet could find no explanation for it. We switched to Advantage and have had no further problems.

• dstarok_yahoo_com
    17 years ago

We were using Frontline every month and Heartguard on our lab. He is now 13 and we thought the chemicals might be getting too much for him, so we skipped frontline for 1 month, big problem. We were immediately overrun with fleas. I did ALOT of investigating and now believe we had fleas for quite a while, because I would see what I THOUGHT was dirt around his bed, I now know it was flea poop. I applied frontline, bombed with zodiak flea bombs, washed or threw away rugs and dog beds, sprayed everyday with a product from Home Depot called 'Enforcer'- it has an adultacide and IGR called NYLAR. I Had yard sprayed again by my pesticide guy who normally sprays every 3 months, then sprayed it again myself weekly. I did the bomb, yard spray and flea bath at the same time to get all sources of fleas at once. I washed the dog a week after appliying Frontline with Flea shampoo. I'm STILL having problems with fleas. I know the life cycle and how the Pupae cannot be killed, and will emerge from their cacoon after seeing or sensing movement, etc. I have tile floors, have mopped, sweep everyday. Vacuum any carpeting on the floor, then spray the house with the Enforcer flea spray. I still comb the dog with flea comb and get maybe 10 fleas out daily. I do not believe the frontline is effective. I called Frontline and they said probably skunks, chipmunks, and whatever other wildlife they could think of are bringing new fleas into our yard...I LIVE IN THE CITY!!! I think the fronline is not working now and will try the other product, Advantage, and see if it works better.
    BY THE WAY- MY VET MATCHES INTERNET PRICES! SEE IF YOURS WILL TOO!!!!! That way they still make money, although not as much, and are still involved in your pets medical treatments.
    Dave in Miami

• firefly1013
    17 years ago

Frontline does NOT repel-- the insect has to bite the animal first. That's why I switched after using it for years. I kept pulling dead ticks off my Aussie Tess, but once in a while I'd also find them just crawling on her (they hadn't bitten yet), and I didn't like the idea of them getting in the house because I have two small children.

I switched to Biospot. It was the only one I found that DOES repel fleas AND ticks. And since I did, I have not found a single flea or tick on Tess. It's been two years!

• paul19692003
    16 years ago

I did a reptile talk at a vets the other day and they say that the fleas are becomming amuned to frontline and they are now using Prac-tec they have a web site wich is www.tickfree.co.uk i hope this is helpful to you all

• presmudjo
    16 years ago

pets-megastore.com.au

I send away there for my flea stuff. Revolution for the dog, and Frontline for the cat. Since my cat is about 12 years old and never been to be checked for heart worms, I won't give revolution. So far Frontline seems to be working, but will watch closer. Many times this company gives free shipping or other offers once signed up for newsletters.

• nikkers
    16 years ago

I just found this thread and would like to write my experience. We have 2 Siberians uskies and a Chihuahua. We keep our pets flea free with Revolution. It's not cheap but it costs a lot less than a combination of other labor intensive, shotgun approach to flea control. I buy 6 vials for $78.00 from the vet and it controls the fleas on the animals and in the house. It also guards against heartworms, some intestinal worms, mites and ticks. Not a bad deal when it rounds off to $8.66 per dog to keep all of us healthier and itch free for 3+ months. BTW, I get the size for large dogs up to 85#, use one vial on the large 80# male, most of a vial for the smaller 50# female and the rest goes on the 6# Chihuahua. I did research on the product and it is supposed to be safe up to 10x the recommended dose. It has worked for us for 4 years with no problems.
    We have bought it from the vet and also online and had good results with both.

• germanshepherd
    16 years ago

hi i just wanted to ask has anyone else had problems with there dog fitting after using frontline spot on as my dog sabre had fit within 24hours of the first dose of frontline then had more fits after the second dose he had never had fits before i used frontline on him we then put him back on program which he had been on before but i had a litter of pups ready to go to there new homes so i frontlined them and like before sabre had fits we have since lost sabre as the last lot of fits really wiped him out when the vet checked him over he said that if it was the frontline then medication might not work and i couldn't stand to watch my loving dog suffer untill the frontline had left his body and he was so flat on the vets table that it was kinder to let him go i have contacted frontline direct about this and put them in touch with my vet and i have heard of at least 2 other cases where this has happened and thought there might be loads more out there somewhere if it has happened to your pet please contact me and also contact frontline as the more people that do the more they will have to look into it and put a warning on there packaging many thanks

• more_to_grow
    16 years ago

There was a time when Frontline was very effective on my dog. Something changed...and I have long since given up on a product that is largely ineffective. I now use K9 Advantix and it works great.

• alexah
    16 years ago

I'M DONE WITH FRONTLINE PLUS. I don't know what has happened, but my dogs are all infested with fleas. My house is now infested along with my back yard. I have treated my yard and my neighbors yard. My house has been bombed and my dogs have had so many baths they won't even go in the bathroom anymore. And still the fleas keep coming. I don't know what to do. I have even poured salt all over my floors and furniture because someone told me it dehydrates the fleas. Still the fleas keep coming. HELP!!!!! I feel like fleas are crawling on my scalp.

• catsrule4ever
    16 years ago

BEWARE HARTZ & BIOSPOT can kill your cat!! The med in these brands is not metabolized by cats well, even if you have not had a problem before, be very careful. If your cat is compromised in any way, these products can kill, dogs no problem, but cats can die. If you've never screeched into the vet's parking lot with a seizing 6 mth old kitten in your arms, believe me it's a horrible way, DID I SAY HORRIBLE?, way for a cat to die! It happened to me, a neighbor used Hartz on their cat and it immediately began to seize, I spent 2 days and 1300.00 trying to save that baby's life, to no avail. I will never get the vision out of my mind. AND WORST OF ALL, THESE COMPANIES KNOW THESE PRODUCTS ARE DANGEROUS TO CATS, if you don't believe me, read the really, really, really fine print (CYA warning) on the box, THEY SHOULD BE ASHAMED and the stores that carry these products as well............

• amykareena
    16 years ago

We are completely infested; it's like frontline just stopped working. I've gone through the posts here and it looks like about the same thing that happened in 2005- either the fleas built up an immunity or frontline changed their product.

I've ordered Advantage for my 2 cats and 1 dog(cocker spaniel) and am anxiously awaiting for it to arrive.

Should I wash our dog prior to treating him? We are in a sad sad state, and really infested.

The plan right now is:
    1) Spray down the car the night before with flea killer. (Wiggles (our dog) sometimes rides in the car with us while we do errands - we have a travel waterdish for this purpose, don't worry)

2) Treat the animals, put cats in their carriers and everyone gets in the car.

3) Bomb the apartment- using 3 bombs for a 900sqft apartment. (reccommend a good brand for this? Is the walmart brand good enough?)

4) Come back 4 hours later, wash all the bedding/animal toys.

5) Give Wiggles a bath a week later.

Anyone have an opinion on these steps? Anything I'm doing wrong, anything more I can do to ensure flea elimination?

We live in an apartment complex, and I am sure that Wiggles is bringing in fleas from outside, but the management won't spray outside- any tips of something I can do to help control this?

Thanks for any advice!
    Amy

• catherine_in_jasper
    16 years ago

Another very frustrated and disappointed Frontline user -- and so I thought I'd do a google search to find out what was happening to other folks.

I've used Frontline since it first came out about 12? years ago and was *delighted* with the results, using it on between 4-8 dogs and one cat at a time. Usually only 2 applications were required yearly; once when the ticks come out, then again late summer. I don't know what happened this year, but I did the usual early spring application and then didn't have any, so by the time it finally arrived (this time buying the "Plus" version) for the late summer application, it did not work! I used it a 2nd time 2 weeks later, with the vet's ok. No improvement. Now I've bought the Plus again for a 3rd application (4th of the season) and still have tons of problems. Application schedule: Early spring, then August 7 and 20; then October 3. Still lots of scratching on half the dogs plus fleas all over poor elderly LuLu whippet; I've hand picked them off her twice already today since late afternoon, getting several each time.

My smallest and most elderly whippets have been *covered* with fleas, and I'm sick of picking them off. These 2 packs came from completely different U.S. sources, so it's not the batch. I'm going to call up and take them up on whatever that one-time refund is. At least I *hope* it's a refund and not a coupon for a free pack! I'm definitely not going to try it again for some time and will try Advantage this next time.

Something is up, I just don't know what!!

• catherine_in_jasper
    16 years ago

Follow-Up:

I asked dog.com about this and they told me that dogs DO build up an immunity to these different products.

Makes sense; I guess I just didn't want to believe it because Frontline was so reliable for so long! I had gotten spoiled and sorta forgot how awful fleas can make everybody's lives.

I don't supposed there's any reason not to try the cheapest, Biospot, 'first' to see how it works.

The dog.com lady offered some interesting info - that she and her sisters, 2 in Tennessee, and herself in Pennsylvania, each use a different product because the others don't work! She uses Biospot and is very satisfied; her 2 sisters must each use the Frontline and Advantix, respectively, as Biospot doesn't work down there. Being in Georgia, I'm wondering if Biospot will work down here, but I'm into economy at this point! At least the first time.

Next summer I'll probably do the Advantix because of the tick properties (plenty of those out here in the north Georgia woods). But I worry that since that one repels mosquitos, what am *I* getting on my skin while cuddling them? That's another reason I would always (successfully) stretch out the treatments instead of doing it monthly like clockwork. That one also is supposed to be swim-proof.

• catherine_in_jasper
    16 years ago

PS - It's only fair to mention that I just called my feed store, and they told me that this year has been particularly bad, and they've been told that people who don't even animals are getting flea problems!

So all the products have been have some trouble working this year. I'm still going to try Advantix, though.

• bruglover
    16 years ago

To control fleas, you need to control them at ALL stages, not just on your pets.

The following advice isn't very "organic" or "natural," but I firmly believe if you've got a flea problem you need to nuke 'em.

They breed on the ground/floor, inside and outdoors. What works for us is to use yard granules that kill all bugs.

For the carpeting and furniture, you can either bomb or spray the house, or work very fine boric acid powder (like Roach Prufe) into the carpeting with a stiff broom, which is the method I use. If you use an insecticide spray instead, I recommend using one with an insect growth regulator.

These steps, in addition to whatever method you use on your pet, will help immensely.

• catherine_in_jasper
    16 years ago

Boy, I sure hate to go back to the 'bad old days' when I had to do ALL of that stuff -- and I always STILL had a problem.

In the continuing interest of fairness, here's the latest I've been told: Again -- my vet clinic reiterates it's the drought in Georgia to blame for the abundant flea population this year.

I just talked with a Bayer/Advantix vet tech, and she said that dogs do 'not' build up a tolerance to the products -- and they are testing flea populations all over the world for resistance, and that's not the issue (fortifying the vet's theory about this current drought). The vet said they've been getting lots of complaint calls from their customers who are having problems with all flea products.

So it's probably not fair of me to be blaming Frontline Plus.

• snakeshot44
    16 years ago

Well I can certainly see that I'm not alone in the world of bad Frontline Plus. Here is what happened to my dog. Within 15 minutes of applying Frontline Plus to my new dog Woody he started running around our yard and on into my neighbors yard where he dove into their small pond. He wallowed around for several minutes then jumped out of the pond and ran back up to our house. I immediately got the water hose and hosed him off. He calmed down after another 20 minutes.

Well 2 weeks later when fleas and ticks were all over him I tried another dose. This time he took it well and I thought problem solved. Wrong again. Two days after the second application I noticed a raw, bloody spot on his neck. I cleaned it up and called the vet and got him in on Monday morning. The vet wound up keeping Woody overnight because she had to sedate him so she could work on the sore. Clipped, shaved and dosed with antibiotics and pain killers I brought my dog home. He has since healed and is doing well.

When I picked up Woody on Tuesday I asked my vet if she had ever heard of any dog being allergic to Frontline. I was told that there were counterfeit products coming into the country and they seemed to be causing problems. She told me to look for a red stripe on the inside container and to also look for any foreign language in either Spanish, German/Swiss and/or Oriental. These apparently contain the magic potion that could be causing the problems.

So good luck to one and all when using Frontline. One can only hope our well informed, looking out for its citizens government can track this problem down...more than likely they'll just hide behind a Bush.

snakeshot44

• itprojectmanager_live_com
    16 years ago

I am courious as to why more people do not use organic metholds to control fleas or insects. I use organic methods to control both fire ants and fleas. It may cost a little more (or less) but is beats putting chemicals in your house or on your pet.

I live in a neighborhood so I can only speak about residential yards.

- Spinosad for both fleas & fire ants broadcasted in the yard
    - Orange oil for ant mounts
    - Diatomaceous earth for problem flea areas
    - Vinegar in the pets water & garlic tabs for thier food

• brianfh
    15 years ago

Poochella and others seem to believe that Borax or boric acid dehydrate. They do not. See http://www.beyondpesticides.org/infoservices/pesticidefactsheets/leasttoxic/boricacid_borates_borax.htm
    It is an insect poison. It can dehydrate some plants, but not animals or bugs.

But glycerin can. Used on skin, hair, or fur, in pure form, it instantly kills insects and even bacteria by flash-dehydrating them. It will rinse off readily, as it "follows the water". A marvelous skin tonic and treatment, too.

• henhilton
    15 years ago

I had never experienced any problem with Frontline, but when I went to buy more last month, my vet didn't carry it anymore. He said he had found that ProMeris works better and costs less. That also seems to be working fine on my dogs and cats. Haven't seen anybody else mention that product here.

Diatomaceous earth is great stuff! Back in the "old days" when my house, pets, self were constantly infested with fleas, I would sprinkle d.e. all over the carpets and leave it all day while I was at work. I vacuumed it up when I came home, or even left it another day if I could. The longer you leave it the better - every single bug that comes in contact with the powder WILL die. Just make sure you don't inhale it much. You can sprinkle it around the yard, too, but need to re-apply after rain.

• carmen_grower_2007
    15 years ago

I have used Diatomaceous Earth (food grade only) on my chickens and in their feed and on the cats and dogs (and also in their feed a couple of times a week. With the cats and dogs, they eat dry food so I have to moisten it and mix it with the DE. It gets rid of internal and external parasites and is totally safe.

For ear mites, I dust it in their ears.

• wendy1107
    15 years ago

PLEASE DO NOT USE BIOSPOT WITHOUT RESEARCHING!!! I've pasted a link below that EVERY OWNER SHOULD LOOK AT BEFORE USING ANY FLEA PRODUCTS.

I did make the mistake of taking the advice of the owner of my local pet store who is usually VERY reliable and trustworthy and I value her opinion highly. However, she was not there when I came in with a crisis for fleas. Her brother recommended BioSpot which I bought. I was intending to go to the vet and get Frontline.

I went home and put it on all my cats and dogs. IT DID NOT WORK. AT ALL. However, I count myself lucky that my animals did not have a horrible adverse reaction that apparently is all too common. I'd certainly rather deal with fleas than a dead animal!

I've waited out the amount of time to safely apply another product and also gave them a bath in Dawn to make sure the product was completely removed. In 48 hours I will go to the vet and purchase Frontline Plus. It has always worked for my boyfriend and was what he had originally recommended. Should have listened to him! Hope Frontline Plus works for us.

But again, PLEASE read this website!

Here is a link that might be useful: Biospot letters

• im_lucky_13
    15 years ago

I've had my toy poodle for almost 4 years and a bischon frise since December '07. I use frontline plus on both dogs. While on vacation this year I noticed a few fleas on the bischon. both dogs had their frontline just a week before so I went out and got flea collars for a quick fix until we got back home. This didn't do a thing! once back home I didn't notice any fleas until just a couple weeks ago both dogs were covered. I had just got them groomed and applied their frontline plus and they still were covered! so I applied the frontline again thinking the 72 hours after being groomed wasn't long enough to wait before applying the 1st time. This still did not phase the fleas!!
    The yard is treated. I cleaned the house from top to bottom along with excessive vacuuming. I also tried spray's and powders not only on the dogs but on all my furniture. I still have fleas in my house and on the dogs. After reading this I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem, although I couldn't even wish this on my worst enemy. I cant take the biting on me or the dogs anymore! I will take any advice to help these pests go away!

Here is a link that might be useful: my page

• michaelghammondt
    15 years ago

Frontline is a pestacide and so is Advantage and Advantix. Historically insectacides and pestacides stop working because citters buildup an immunity and you have to get something stronger. So you start out giving your pet what you are assured is very mild but even if it is mild its still a poison and your giving it month after month. How can you believe that this is not going to have a deleterious effect over the course of the pets lifetime;because the vet recommended it?

• tattoo7lady
    15 years ago

I would caution anyone using ANY product that contains Pyrethrin. This is a "natural" product, but that doesn't mean it is SAFE. It is highly and fatally toxic to cats, and can be toxic to dogs as well, if the dose given is too big. I wouldn't trust using it on any animals. Check this link:
    http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1677&aid=2252

Pyrethrin is known by at least 6 other "active ingredient" names, and I was shocked to see these name brands listed, which all contain pyrethrin: name brands include Adams, Bio Spot, Duocide, Happy Jack, Hartz, K9 Advnatix, Mycodex, Ovitrol, Proticall, Raid, and Zodiac.

I googled Diatomaceous earth (as I had never heard of ingesting that before, people or animals!) and found that SOME forms of DE (which are commercially sold) contain pyrethrin. That sounds strange to me, as TRUE Diatomaceous earth is made up of fossils of diatoms. Fossils, and not dried plant material.

Like Wendy, I too almost lost animals to Hartz Mountain flea products, and so was not surprised to learn of her experience with BioSpot, as both of these use pyrethrin in their formulary.

cat

• Little.Farmer
    13 years ago

Bio Spot, Bio Spot, Bio Spot! It is cheaper than those others, and works better. Took care of the fleas on my dog in less than a week, and kept them off. I was very impressed! Also works great on ticks. We have a border collie who is outside most of the time, and in the woods alot. Bio Spot is the only thing I will put on him. Occasionally I will find a tick on him, but its usually dead, and its better than picking 20 off a day!

• cbduty_aol_com
    12 years ago

I adopted a 9 month old Skye Terrier in 2005. Used Frontline on him once a month without fail. No fleas. Found one dead tick....however, in October 2010 he became ill and was diagnosed with ehrlichia. Treatment did not work and he died a week later. An autopsy was done and it was said he had advanced ehrlichia. He had shown no symptoms until that week. Frontline did not protect him.

• rwestbury_hillsboro_net
    12 years ago

I have a Persian cat never had fleas till I took him to groomed
    In about 2weeks he was covered in fleas. The vet and I used Frontline on him nothing still had fleas but now in carpet. I used salt,borax and still have them so today I bought Enforcer. flea powder for carpets.I am scared to use it. Does anyone have any advice on this powder? I have bought Advantage he seem to be doing some good but I am scared of all of these flea killers. I lost my kitty 6 yrs ago to Bio Spot,I found her dead the next morning after applying it

to her the nite before.

• zepplin_gmail_com
    12 years ago

We have several pets and in the past Frontline plus did the job! But for whatever reason it is no longer working at ALL!! I even tried other places hoping that maybe the ones I purchased were simply old (although it did not show expired). Same thing...our cats and dogs are scratching themselves and sure enough there were fleas crawling all over them just a day or two after treatment! What is going on? Have the fleas become immune to this EXPENSIVE product? If so, what are our options?

• liisb_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I have used Frontline for 13 years on my Golden and it worked great BUT not this year. The past two months I have applied it on time but my now 14 year old is loaded with fleas. I am going to try the Advantix this month and am also looking into NEEM oils that are supposed to disorient the bugs so they starve and fall off in a few days.

• mersiepoo
    12 years ago

I would never use frontline ever again, my parents used it on our dog (she got it every year), and immediately after she got it she sort of 'shook all over' right after they applied it to her back. Soon after, she had a serious seizure, and continued to have them. They put her on anti seizure meds, but she kept going downhill. Not sure if the frontline caused it, or maybe it was all those vaccinations too, but she ended up having to be put to sleep last November. :( I suspect the frontline, because she had had a reaction to the time before the 'last' time it was applied as well.

• billskat
    12 years ago

I gave my 1 yr old cat a frontline treatment, a few hours later he was having muscle type spasms. Within 30 minutes of the spasms starting I had him laying across my lap trying to comfort him when he went into a grand mal seizure.
    It happened after regular office hours and the nearest emergency vet is a minimum of 45 minutes away. The seizure lasted nearly 5 minutes but felt like an hour. I held him and prayed until it passed, fearing any second he would take his last breath. Thanks to God he pulled thru and seems to suffer no after damage.
    Will NEVER use Frontline again for any of my pets.

• compie
    12 years ago

having just purchased a new pack of frontline spot on for dogs of 20-40 kg on opening it i find it contains a very small dose and the pipette pack is marked up spot on for cats now i have to wait untill monday to change it and complain so please open and check before you leave the shop as i wonder how many more wrong packs there are

• compie
    12 years ago

after reading billskats post i wonder if cat owners are are getting the large dog dose that should have been in my pack i hope not

• mtberry77_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Comfortis. Pill form. And works 10x's better then frontline or the knock off sold at Wal-Mart. That stuff is worthless!

• pestmall
    12 years ago

It is very good flea control product.We have been using Advantage on our dogs for some time; works well but is expensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: flea control

• mersiepoo
    12 years ago

My mom gave her dog frontline, and she had a seizure almost immediately afterwards. I would stay the heck away from anything like that for your pets.

• norma kidson
    6 years ago

My cat has been on FRONTLINE since the day I got him. He is now 12,5 years old and has just been diagnosed with Billary!!!!!!!!! As in .... A VERY bad case of Billary. The vet said we git him there just in time!!!!!!! Has anyone else had this awful experience??? At this stage we can only wait and see how effective the (VERY expensive!) treatment will be. It could take days weeks even months or it's even possible the treatment could have no effect at all!