Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amandablevins04

Duckling

amandablevins04
9 years ago

Help! We found a duckling (no feathers yet) in the middle of a busy road, abandoned and waiting to get ran over. We brought it home to see if it would make it through the night. Luckily it did but now we have no clue what to do. We have raised plenty of healthy chicks, but never a duck. One large problem is that it has a badly broken leg which is bent backward but it is trying to use it and kind of hobbling around and getting better. I really need some info on how to properly feed and house it, and take care of that poor leg! We would love to keep it as a pet if we can care for it well. Right now it is in my bath tub with old towels for bedding. It cuddles with the towels and I have a 75 watt light bulb in a brooding lamp hanging 2 or 3 feet above it, but the little guy still kind of shivers and seems cold. I have given it water with pebbles in the bottom of the bowl so that it isnt too deep and am going to get some starter feed (but i dont know how old it actually is). The feed store is closed so until i can get the starter feed I am feeding it oats soaked in water...is that okay or bad for him?? Please tell me all you know so I can help this little guy!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz