Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliette_2009

New Serama hatch - 11 of 11!

juliette_2009
14 years ago

My second batch of Serama babies arrived this past Saturday/Sunday...all 11 hatched! I have pictures of last weeks hatch, they were born last Friday/Saturday...

http://www.pixiechickens.com/2009/06/22/the-cast-of-characters/

I will photograph the new babies as soon as I can remove them from the infrared light for a little bit.

Juliette

Wadmalaw Island, SC

www.pixiechickens.com

Comments (8)

• gardendawgie
    14 years ago

What kind of incubator do you use. If I am correct you had 14/14 and now 11/11 for 25 out of 25. That is awesome.

Any tips on your incubator.

• juliette_2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am using a Genesis Hovabator 1588 (forced air, digital thermostat). Some people complain about styrofoam incubators not being able to hold the correct temperature, but I have not had that problem...I do have it in an extra bedroom, where the room temperature remains fairly constant...a garage or shed might be a different story. I collect my eggs from Monday to the following Sunday, placing them in the incubator that Sunday evening. My temperature stays at 101, with 60% humidity, and I turn the eggs only twice a day by hand, morning and night. Three days before the expected hatch date (19 days for Seramas), I stop turning the eggs and increase the humidity to 70%. My first hatch pipped on day 19 and hatched within 24 hours...my second hatch pipped on days 19 & 20, hatched on days 20 & 21. Why the second hatch took longer, I have no idea!

Remember, these numbers work for me for Seramas, a different breed may need different numbers. It seems that many people have successful hatches using very different procedures...there seems to be a lot of luck involved!

I hope this helps!

Juliette
    Wadmalaw Island, SC
    www.pixiechickens.com

• gardendawgie
    14 years ago

Let me please make sure I have this correct.

You have a fan inside and you have to turn the eggs yourself. no automatic egg turner. It has a digital preset temperature.??? I guess they cost about $130.+ ship, and here is what one said on ebay.

The New Genesis Hova-Bator Incubator 1588

We are a Factory Authorized Dealer and eBay Power Seller!

The New Genesis Hova-Bator is pre-set for bird eggs. Simply plug it in, then add water and eggs. Nothing to set up or adjust. This circulated air Hova-Bator comes with a thermometer, plastic bottom liner.

Simply plug it in, add water for humidity and eggs, Nothing to set up or adjust. The pre-set microprocessor based thermostat digitally regulates itself in the 99.9 degree range. The digital technology in this thermostat, unlike outdated analog tecnology, means the command setting is never affected by changes in the humidity, temperature, dust or age. Built in sensors prevent the "burn up" of eggs. Like all incubators, the 1588 requires a stable room temperature and should not be used in areas like sheds or barns. Being pre-set, this incubator delivers consistently good hatches. Excellent for classrooms, novices, and experts. Can be used for most types of bird eggs. Dimensions 18" x 18" x 9 1/2" Automatic egg turners available. Without an automatic turner in place, the incubator will hold 50 large duck or chicken eggs or 140 quail eggs.

• juliette_2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago

gardendawgie-

Yes, all this is correct. I purchased mine here...https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=77

The temperature is preset, but the thermometers I use range from 100 to 101 (I have 2 or 3 in there, just to be sure). I also made my own "water-wigglers"...In the first hatch, I double-bagged ziploc baggies with warm water, 4 or so, and placed them around the perimeter of the incubator (on the inside), to help keep temps stable. On the second hatch, I just filled empty seltzer bottles with water, placed around the perimeter, since the baggies were prone to leaking. I don't know for sure if any of this makes a difference, but since it worked for me, I'm glad to pass it on!

Juliette
    Wadmalaw Island, SC
    www.pixiechickens.com

• velvet_sparrow
    14 years ago

Well, Hey there, Queen of the Seramas! :)

Good job! Of course, we REQUIRE pictures of all these cuties when possible. Out of curiosity, how old are the parent birds?

Velvet ~:>

• gardendawgie
    14 years ago

Juliette

that is a cool idea. a little leaking is ok it keeps up the humidity as long as the eggs are not sitting in water. But if the eggs get wet they will probably die quickly.

I was working hard on the incubator ideas today. You can take your incubator apart and put the parts into a bigger box with 2 trays and it will work if done reasonably. So that is a good incubator that can be upgraded. Just need to find a big styrofoam box. I have seen them at times. I am going to keep my eyes open.

But for now it is big enough for me. And in a year or two if I need a bigger one by then I should have found a big styrofoam box with lid.

For now I want to save up my money and get the one with the egg turner.

Thanks for pointing out your success with that one.

• velvet_sparrow
    14 years ago

gardendawgie, I've seen plans for home-built incubators made of wood online that look great...also, for styrofoam you might be able to use a styrofoam ice chest/cooler.

Velvet ~:>

• gardendawgie
    14 years ago

Yes I want a large styrofoam ice chest box/ cooler. Thick styrofoam is much better than that thin styrofoam for a bigger box because it becomes more important to keep the heat inside. they are always made for cooling but it is the same thing. temperature control.