Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Our duck

Posted by kimreko 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 10, 09 at 21:25

We had a mating pair of ducks. The female laid 18 eggs this spring and hatched all but 2. The male and female mated (I think) once or twice before the male went missing. (I think he got out of the yard when the gate was open. Anyway, the female began laying eggs again about 2 weeks after her babies were born. I collected the one egg a day and was going to use them in cooking. A few days of this and she moved her nest (for a 3rd time) She has again laid a total of 18 eggs and is starting to set on them most of the day. Could these be fertile as well? If so, is this normal for a duck to hatch more then 1 clutch a season?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Our duck

most wild birds will only hatch one clutch. domestics are another story. chickens can stay fertile from one mating for three weeks. it sounds like more time than that has passed, so i would assume not.

o
RE: Help with my duck

So if these eggs are not fertile...then what do I do with them. Everytime I have taken her eggs from her she moves her nest(s) and begins to lay again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here