Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Organic Chicken Feed vs. Regular Layer Feed

Posted by gardengal19 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 23, 11 at 21:59

Does it really matter which feed to use?

I do not intend to sell organic eggs but, I would like to have healthy eggs for personal use. What type of feed do you use?

I would supplement their feed with some veggies and fruits, crickets etc. occasionally. The chicks have free access to as much grass as they want.

I just wonder if it makes a difference to use organic feed. It costs a lot more but, I'm not sure if the benefits of using organic feed is really worth it.

I'd appreciate your thoughts about organic feed for laying chickens.

-gloria

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Organic Chicken Feed vs. Regular Layer Feed

I worry about the general feed that we buy because of all the stuff they put in it (like hydrogenated vegetable oil!), plus I worry that they're using GMO corn or soy in it too, which isn't good for birds either. Depends on how much you want your eggs to cost, plus you have to make sure that the feed is 'really' organic, sometimes they'll say organic but it's not 100 percent organic. We sort of hedge our bets by letting our birds out every day to eat bugs, grass, seeds and whatever they can find. We do supplement with the feed too.

o

I wish I could even find organic chicken feed. I have enough trouble finding non-medicated without driving all over the country!

o

There is a Mennonite-owned mill where we are able to buy non-GMO feeds for our chickens, pigs and cows. It does cost more but not nearly as much as organic (typically twice as much).
Not only do I believe that non-GMO grains are better for my creatures but I try hard not to buy any GMO products on principle--the idea of corporations patenting and controlling our food supply is immoral and GMOs are a rebellion against nature.

You can mix your own non-GMO feed as our friends who avoid soy do. Their mix consists largely of field peas as the protein substitution for soy. They say it costs about 20-25% more, I think.

We also feed clabbered milk from our non-GMO milk cows which is a great source of protein. We are now raising Freedom Ranger meat chickens largely on clabbered milk (supplementing with non-GMO broiler formula).

I would have to get the recipe from my friend for the homemade mix but could if anyone is interested in it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here