Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions: Slaughtering small livestock legally in Texas

Posted by babalubird Central Texas (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 10, 08 at 22:02

One of many things I'm looking into is raising/slaughtering my own chickens, tilapia and rabbits for restaurants, specialty meat markets and individuals. I can't find the info I need on the USDA site and I don't know if Texas has any special requirements. Our extension agent wasn't much help.

Is anyone doing this and what did you have to do to get the necessary licenses? What special equipment did you need for SMALL animals like these? Anyone in Texas here doing this who can give me state requirements?

Thanks.

Connie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions: Slaughtering small livestock legally in Texas

I too have been researching this topic (for chickens and lamb).

The lamb one is MUCH easier than the chicken problem.

Some people sell their chickens to Whole Foods, which requires people to use their (WF's)processor.

The only other way I've determined to legally get around this problem is to sell LIVE chicken, but give people the option to have free processing. Most states, Texas included, allow a small farm to process a certain number of birds without requiring a license. I've also found custom processors locally.

Somewhere, I have a list of places that will process chickens in Texas. Most seem to be closer to the Dallas area. Unfortunately, they tend to be rather pricey - $3 to process a chicken really runs up the price to the customer.

If you did it yourself, for chickens, you'd need a scalder, picker, and other equipment. Books like Joel Salatin's "Pasture Poultry Profit$" and Andy Lee and Patricia Foreman's "Day Range Poultry", are good resources.

I've no experience with fish or rabbits.

Good Luck - maybe the Texas people need to build their own processing plant!

o
RE: Questions: Slaughtering small livestock legally in Texas

Thanks. Those Lee and Foreman books look even more promising than the Salatin books. Thanks. Didn't know about those.

Yes! We need a rabbit processing plant here really bad. They are building a chicken plant for one of the really big corporate processors in Waco. My understanding though is you might as well be one of their underpaid worker bees if you're going to contract with them to raise their chickens their way!

Thanks again.

Connie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here