Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mallards and their babies

Posted by Aleris_Lib none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 15, 12 at 22:13

hiya! i was wondering if anyone could help with my question about Mallards!
a week ago, i ended up with a mamma and 8 babies on my door step, i have a large pond behind my house, and neighbours and myself were contemplating what on earth to do with them all, since we have herons, red kites, foxes, crows, geese, and a million cats..
i ended up with an idea to keep them in my extended chicken run, and close it off from the chickens of course..

now they have been in there for about a week, and i am happy to keep them in there until they are less likely to be eaten/caught by the big bad meanies...
however, today one went missing. i searched in the box we gave them, and everywhere else too, yet no body to be found. i even emptied the mums drinking water in case it had drowned.
now i had been under the impression it had found a hole between the ground and cage, and popped out, being caught or dying somewhere..
however, when speaking to a friend tonight, her slightly drunken self, said that the mum had eaten it...

she seemed fairly quick with her response, but couldnt back it up at all... and i just wondered, DO THEY?!

i havent found a body at all, i looked all around where it might have gotten to, and also the mum didnt seem too distressed about it at all. =/

it would perhaps explain the strange disappearance!!!

thanks for any help you could give me! =P

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here