Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natilie70

baby chicks for broody hen - daytime OK ??

Natilie70
15 years ago

I know I see it is suggested I put the baby chicks under the broody at night. Question is - would it hurt to put them under her during the day ?? I proved to myself what I have been suspecting lately and that is she is NOT leaving the nest to eat or drink or poop. I have put her outside a few times lately to hopefully get her to drink and eat. Not sure I have been successful there. She has been sitting almost 3 weeks now and I'm going to the feed store in the morning to pick up some day old chicks that arrived there today. I had a shipment with work I had to get out and did not make it to the feed store before they closed - but I did make it to UPS for my shipment. Sometimes work has to come first. Anyway, I am worried about her and thought if I could get the chicks under her sooner, she might get up and eat and drink sooner also. She is a silver laced Cochin and raised 1 chick about 1 1/2 years ago. the chicks will be black sex-links. The other 2 hens are in another pen that I can move about so they are getting some grass and bugs to go with their food. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus