Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chicken coop designing...what is your dream coop

Posted by flowerchild59 z6b IL (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 20, 10 at 22:46

We are in the process of making a new coop. Part of it will be on an old foundation and the rest will be a covered run. Size if of no concern....the slab foundation that is already present is 15f wide by 50 foot long. It used to be a calf pen on an old dairy.
I told my DH that I want the coop to be functional and easy to use. We will have about 30 hens. I figure a dozen nest boxes...do you think that will be enough? I want the food containers to be inside with nest boxes assessible from the inside
Give me some of your best ideas. I am too old to make too many mistakes that we will have to correct.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chicken coop designing...what is your dream coop

I stumbled across this the other day http://www.kingcoops.com/coopdesigns.html It has lots of good ideas with pictures, my favorite design is the " Cluckers Palace " it would be a sweet house for a few of our spoiled bantams :)

o

Most coops have slant roof, and be sure to have a bank of windows facing south for maximum light. You're going to love having the concrete pad when it comes time to muck it out. I have a twenty by forty coop on a concrete pad, and I appreciate how much easier it makes to do the scraping and also it's easily hosed off afterward. The structure was built as a chicken shed so I didn't have much modifying to do when started our flock up. We have working windows and two sides with wire mesh to them when the windows are open. Ventilation is very important to poultry so all windows are operable. We have a small drop door to their exercise yard and that is completely enclosed with fencing, even overhead, for protection from predators. And also a human sized door for us. LOL. It should be large enough so you can easily move feed bags in and out and also wheel barrows for when you muck poop.

All the walls where windows are located have roosts to them, and the other two walls have metal laying boxes twelve per unit. I had a hundred hens at one time and twenty four boxes were sufficient, so twelve should be for thirty hens. You may want to fence off a small section for quarantining injured fowl because there will be times when that happens and the other birds will attack an injured bird and peck at it until it dies. This could also be used as a safe spot for brooding hens.

o

Lots of great pictures over on the backyardchickens.com. They have a forum that is huge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here