Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
velvet_sparrow

Chickam Is Back! Pipping NOW!

velvet_sparrow
15 years ago

Holy cow, they are 48 hours EARLY!

http://www.stickam.com/chickam2008

New & improved Logitech camera plus new FIOS wiring means a MUCH better picture, you can really see the eggs moving!

There are 50 eggs, all are numbered. #42 has pipped, #41 and #22 are rocking as the chicks turn into hatching position. No peeping yet. Since #42 is so early, it may or may not survive if it hatches tonight--keep your fingers crossed! :)

We will be moderating chat MUCH better this time, and will have a ZERO tolerance for hate language, spamming, profound obscenities, etc. Lots of kids like to watch Chickam, so if you can't watch your language, stay out of chat. No second chances, no warnings, offenders will be banned. :) I'm sure everyone here can deal with that, though.

Enjoy!

Velvet ~:>

Comments (17)

• timberohio
    15 years ago

This is so cool. I'm new to raising chickens and haven't even thought of hatching eggs. Love how you can hear them peeping and see the eggs rocking. Got to wake the kids up to watch this. They will love it.

Thanks for the Chickam.

• claraserena
    15 years ago

Velvet-I have been watching and emailed my grandkids to watch. Have eggs/chicks that are out of sight made it out? I will keep checking.

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

I watched #38 how cool was that. I also liked hearing your kid talking asking about umbilical cords. *cute*
    thanks for the view!

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

please give more details on your camera, set up and the *about price*, as I was thinking about putting one on my goats and chickens so I can watch from work. :-)
    Thanks

• johanna_h
    15 years ago

WOW! Lots of activity this time around. Did you do something different in the incubator, or source the eggs differently?

I have two hens sitting nests. Since the middle of may there's been broody activity from various hens, but each time they abandon the nests and the eggs have nothing in them. I had to have a talk with my rooster! Hopefully something's developing under the current hens.

Congratulations, Velvet! Good work, chickies!

--Johanna

• sullicorbitt
    15 years ago

Wow Velvet they look terrific! I love the new video set up too, well done :) That's a lot of eggs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll look forward to updates.

Sheila

• timberohio
    15 years ago

Well my daughter who is 12 watched anxiously all day yesterday. Until 10 pm last night. She just has one question this morning. Did #41 hatch? His egg rocked all day yesterday she was certain it would be the first. Now this morning it must be the other side of the incubator and she doesn't see #41. So could I get an update on 41 whether it hatched or not?

Thanks
    Andrea

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

here is a great video for kids to see how a chicken develops from yolk to chick

Development of Chicken - The most popular videos are here

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

Are my eyes deceiving me or have ALL the chicks hatched? WOW!!
    congrads Velvet, hope your family enjoys them!!
    what are they anyway (breeds)?

• johanna_h
    15 years ago

msjay--I think Velvet moved the camera and the chicks into another box, out of the incubator. That's why you don't see other eggs around.

Velvet--why is the pen divided with hardware cloth? Who are those chicks on the other side? They look kind of small to be the first hatch, or are they?

--Johanna

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

one of the buff colored chicks looks dead. the one in the front.

• velvet_sparrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yikes, no--no dead chicks....?!

All are healthy and happy-- baby chicks will just run around like mad, then drop and sleep like they've been shot...10 seconds later they are up and running again. They're like wind-up toys.

We had a total of 13 chicks hatch out of 50 eggs--better than the last hatch, but still not a good hatch rate. But the eggs either formed a chick and it hatched, or they didn't. Nothing in between. I've done several fertility tests on our eggs, and all have been fertile.

We have the cam on the brooder box now, the new chicks are separated from the 3 week old chicks by hardware cloth (the wire). When this batch gets big enough to stand up to the three older chicks, we'll let them all run together.

We'll likely have the cam up for at least a week. :)

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

I am glad to hear they are okay. I said that then I went to check on my chicks and found one of mines dead with a broken neck. I assume it was broken because of the position it was in. I think she tried to get out of the brooder and fell.

I have totally enjoyed your cam. It is very interesting to watch for short spells. Thanks so much for sharing with us!!
    Jay

• johanna_h
    15 years ago

It's 8:15 am EST -- where are the chicks??? Do they sleep off to the side where they can't be seen from the chickam?

--Johanna

• velvet_sparrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We've added a grassy dirt clod to the brooder box for Chick Disneyland, they love it. :) Ash, the little gray one, is turning out to be a Frizzle. I moved the cam a bit to get a better angle.

They're getting to the age where they're getting really rambunctious, very fun. Meanwhile, the three older chicks have discovered that they can jump up on the edge of the brooder box, naughty little things...!

• velvet_sparrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Baby pictures! Here are the 13 chicks, at 7 days old:

{{gwi:42485}}

It's a baker's dozen! We have one Frizzle for sure, the gray one at the right end.

• johanna_h
    15 years ago

Lovely! I'm so envious! Will you be keeping all of them?

--Johanna

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone