Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
baby chick coop bedding

Posted by brightstars z8 E Tx (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 12, 08 at 23:01

I have been reading about hay vs straw for the nest boxes and how they can get moldy and cause problems. I had not thought of that. Are the old leaves I have on the coop floor OK for the baby chicks ?? I know not newspaper. If the leaves are not OK then I guess pine shavings and I cannot guarantee the hay bales or straw bales I have that is quite old in the barn is OK. thanks Chicks arrive tomorrow - as soon as I go pick them up and get them under the broody.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: baby chick coop bedding

I use paper towels for the first week then switch to pine shavings, but I don't use a broody. You can't go wrong w/the shavings.

Sheila

o

they sell a large bag of packed pine shavings in walmart for about $6. the lady I brought my chicks from said this bag lasts forever and helps with the odors. are you putting the chicks straight in the coop? Try using a rubbermaid bucket first. They are about $4 in walmart.

o

In my coop is fresh dead leaves from last fall on the floor. I just cleaned and changed them. The broody cochin hen is sitting on her nest and I'll put the chicks under her tonight. Do you still think I need a bucket also ?? My other 2 hens are in a tractor pen that I move around. So mother and chicks have the coop all to themselves. Later when they get bigger, they will have a separate pen attached to the coop that they can run in and out of - it has smaller mesh fencing to make sure they cannot get out. I like the idea of the pine shavings - and especially for odor. Had not thought of that.

o

We always used black and white news print with no ill effects.

o

well I suggested the bucket because they are in a smaller space that can be heated for the first couple of weeks but really I am not sure if this is a neccessity. I move mines outside to the pen tomorrow if it finished. I have used hay in the bucket but when I put them in the pen I plan to use the pine shavings. they are messy little buggers. You mentioned old hay. if there is mold on it I do not think that is going to be safe. mold is bad for every thing. I don't see any reason why you could not use the leaves but will it control odors? are they absorbant? And what happens when they get wet? My experience with leaves are when they get wet they turn into a soggy mess. I said the pine shavings were $6 but today I brough a smaller bag and it was $3.
wishing you well

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here