Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need to clip goose wings?

Posted by woodrose711 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 10, 09 at 23:41

I have 11 4-week old Pilgrim geese. They are getting their feathers and are hopping aroud a bit, but not getting off the ground. When they are adults, will they be heavy enough so they won't get off the ground, or will I need to clip their wings?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need to clip goose wings?

Leave the wings alone. They have no chance to fly. Way to heavy. None of the geese can fly except a wild Canadian goose.

none of the ducks are wing clipped either. except maybe a wild duck like a mallard.

Do not worry you will know when to clip a bird wing. For now clip no wings.

o

I agree no wing clipping needed. I have two Roman Tufted and during the day they have the run of our fenced in yard. When they first got their flight wings they saw me outside the fence and decided to follow. They've flown over it twice but only at the beginning, barely clearing it, but they couldn't wait to get back in. Mind you the fence is only 4.5 feet high and they barly made it.

They are now 4 and haven't done it since. Mine are happy grazing on the grass, making nests and laying eggs, they are both females and lay about 50 eggs a year. They have the life. Of course they LOVE their kiddy pool.

Good luck they are a handful. Of course I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

o

Get them a Gander so they can have fun and hatch a few.

You will love it with baby geese following the parents.

I used to have 30 geese. 5 or 6 different kinds. Loved them but I really dont want geese these days. I had a pair of rouen ducks that I really loved. Fox got them.

I will stick with chickens because they go inside the house at night. The ducks and geese wanted to stay outside at night.

Your Roman Tuffed goose would be more acceptable because it is smaller. They also give more eggs. I had huge geese and they ate too much. Well with 30 huge geese they went through a bag of food pretty fast.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here