Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodrose711

does medicated feed cancel out vaccinations?

woodrose711
14 years ago

I bought my chicks from a hatchery that does vaccinations if desired. I got the vaccinations. I was told that if I feed them medicated feed, it would cancel out the vaccs. 2 local feed co-ops say the vaccinations aren't 100% effective and feeding medicated feed would not harm the birds. I have not fed medicated feed, but who's right?

Comments (9)

• brendasue
    14 years ago

I've never heard of this-though I'm no chicken expert.

It would depend on what you mean by vaccinations. If you consider coccidiosis a vaccination (which it's not), then you can probably find a coccidiastat in the feed, for instance. This would be considered medicine.

As far as annual vaccinations, to my knowledge no feed offers vacs within the food-nor should it. There would be no way to ensure each and every animal received the proper dose at the proper time for vaccination protection, hence putting the whole flock at risk should a disease be present.

More information on specifically what vaccinations you are referring to would be helpful.

It's true no vaccine can be guaranteed. It's also true medicated feed wont harm the birds, though I won't feed any animal a constant dose of medications/wormers for the reason stated above. It's like taking a daily dose of cough medicine just in case you might get a cough.

Keeping your pens clean, dry, non crouded, clean food & water, with good air circulation and it's half the battle.
    Brendasue

• woodrose711
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The "vaccs" given at hatcheries are for Mareks and Coccidiosis. I don't know how these are actually administered, but these are also what the meds are for in the feed. I guess these diseases are the most threatening to poultry. I totally agree with you on "coop-keeping" practices. I also have a strong dislike for everything to be "medicated". For not being a chicken expert, you have a good amount of knowlege!

• brendasue
    14 years ago

I'm not familiar with Marek's disease but am with coccidiosis. I've attached a link with an explanation of Marek's disease-MVM covers it well. Apparently they can give it to the embryo. There's a couple of articles for your enjoyment.

Na, chickens aren't my thing though I have a few. Goats are my passion-but general principles can be applied to both.

I was re-thinking your question. For goats there are 2 vaccines-Tetnus Toxoid & Tetnus Anti-toxin. They will cancel each other out. One is for immediate treatment & one is for prevention. They are NOT the same though, as the name indicates. Recommendations are to wait 3 weeks between doses. Maybe the Marek's has two similar treatments but they are not the same? I don't know enough about Mareks to comment.

Your doing the right thing by asking multiple sources. Great way to learn, and form your own opinion of what is the best way to raise your animals. The learning never ends.
    Brendasue

Here is a link that might be useful: Merk Veterinary Manual

• fancifowl
    14 years ago

Amprolium is what is currently used in medicted feds to help develop an immunity to cocci, it has no effect on the vacinations given to chicks, which i believe is still dosed nasally. Use the medicated feed up until they begin to lay then slowly swith over to a good lay ration or game bird feed.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    14 years ago

Brenda, the Toxoid is an inactivated form of the toxin that will stimulate to body to build up its defenses, the antitoxin will bind up any tetanus toxin present, including the toxoid. The antitoxin is not a vaccine.

As for medicated feed canceling out the vaccinations, perhaps someone along the line pointed out that medicating and vaccinating is redundant, and that for one or more conditions you shouldn't bother with both if you are trying to be as efficient as possible.

Any real vaccination is unlikely to be undone by any prophylactic medication.

• seramas
    14 years ago

I don't use medicated feeds or buy vaccinated chicks. All this does is make them weak and dependant on such things. From day one they get moistened feed that has extra vit/minerals add, plus home made yogurt that has as many as 8 different good bacteria (probiotics) in them. These will prevent nearly every intestinal virus/bacterial infections from getting strong enough to harm your birds, allowing them to develop natural immunity against them. They get this each morning until they are 20 weeks old. After 20 weeks they will get it 2x a week as long as I have them.

• gardendawgie
    14 years ago

Seramas

Welcome back. Your advice is so excellent. I read all the back threads of interest and your advice is always so excellent. Thank you for being a part of those who share here.

I assume from this most recent posting that your vits/ min yogurt helps with cocci also. that is of interest for me with my dog. How to break Coccidia in the dod so it does not return.

Have you used natural Atlantic Kelp powder for vits and minerals. Or what do you suggest.

• seramas
    14 years ago

gardendawgie,

Yes, It is mix into the water and then into the mash, sorghum syrup is added to improve the taste for them.

yogurt is good for your dogs and cats as a regular daily treat. My dog gets garlic capsules daily to prevent internal parasites, if the cats were as easy to give a pill to they would get garlic daily, too. I have grown attached to my hands and arms and have only a limited number of bath towels that have not been shredded by cats needing pills.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    14 years ago

Any intervention that preserves the ability to reproduce will eventually result in dependence.

Kelp from any source will contain a high number of difficult to obtain trace minerals, this is because kelp grows in the ocean, which is an unending supply of minerals, and kelp can get all of the minerals it could ever want.

If you do feed your dog Garlic you should avoid feeding it a lot, while a little is a very good thing, a lot is a very bad thing, dogs cannot break down the sulfur containing groups as well as we can, because the natural diet of a dog isn't as diverse as that of a hominid, and they can overdose, this is why you will seldom find Garlic as an ingredient in dog food.

If you feed your dogs yogurt make sure it is completely fermented, the tangy taste in yogurt comes from lactic acid, a product of the breakdown of lactose, lactose and the digestive system of an adult dog or cat are not natural allies.

Good luck breaking the cycle.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz