Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baby Pygmy goat feeding and water

Posted by banditsmom Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 9, 10 at 1:01

I have a 4 week old baby pygmy goat and have had him for 2 weeks. He has been taking mannapro replacement and has been getting 4 bottles a day with 5 oz in two feedings and 4 oz in the others. He still seemed as if he was starving and just started to nibble leaves. I gave him water in a bottle as he will not drink and was concerned about him becoming dehydrated with the heat and now he has red urine. I am so concerned as I read that you shouldn't give water to a baby goat in a bottle as it causes this problem, but a friend said she offers water to her kid and they will drink until they are not thirsty. Have I harmed my baby? PLEASE HELP

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baby Pygmy goat feeding and water

I'd take the baby off milk replacer and start it on whole milk. (not 2%) Cow's milk is fine, and a pygmy won't be drinking very much so it wouldn't be too expensive.

Give him access to browse, (green leaves from trees and grass) and hay with a small bucket of water available at all times. You can always add electrolytes to the water if you think he's looking dehydrated but no more water from a bottle; if he gets thirsty, he'll sip from the bucket. If you feed him things growing in your yard, make sure you don't have plants that are hazardous or even toxic for small ruminants. (Absolutely no yew, azalea, rhodendron, etc.)

For the red urine: if it's water intoxication cased by the water in the bottle, it should clear up on it's own. If you suspect a UTI, give the little guy about 2 ounces of unsweetened cranberry juice (Ocean spray brand is best) twice a day for a couple of days and if it's a urinary tract infection, it should clear up.

o
RE: Baby Pygmy goat feeding and water

I have always feed my goats milk replacer until they were 6 weeks every 4 hours .At night we let them go all night. Free choice hay. We dont feed them things that grow in the yard. we introduce them to a bucket of water to drink. Fiasco farm has a great website. Sounds like your little one could have a uti. Do you have a good farm vet? They normally let you call with ?? how wonderful to have a baby. Good luck . They are so sweet when they are babies. Wish i could talk dh into it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here