Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hey Velvet, broody question :)

Posted by gardengalrn 5KS (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 1, 09 at 3:16

Velvet (or any of the knowledgeable people here), I was merely humoring one of my Buff Orps several weeks ago when she took up on a favored nest. She has been a religious and loyal brooder for several weeks now, perhaps almost 3. I know that if the eggs are fertile, she will probably be a momma here pretty soon. She is in one of the laying boxes about 2 feet up. I don't dare move her right at this moment but I know that if those little chicks manage to hatch, the other chickens will get them for sure. What would you suggest? Lori

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hey Velvet, broody question :)

Immediately make a safe enclosure for the hen and chicks. Either get them into the safe enclosure before or after hatch. It is not good to move the eggs the last 3 days before hatch. so it depends on many things but I would probably try to move them as soon as hatched.

they should hatch in the box. you might enclose the box so the hen and chicks are confined with food and water for the hen. after hatching well you can move them.

o
RE: Hey Velvet, broody question :)

Exactly what gardendawgie said. :) I'd add that if you leave the nest in place where it is, you need to make sure the nest box is secure and enclosed so that the newly hatched chicks cannot fall to the ground and hurt themselves, and so other adults cannot get in and harm the babies or fight over who gets to set the eggs and kill the unborn chicks. Once the hatch itself is done, then you can move mama and babies to their own enclosure.

If it is possible to move the nest box itself, mama, eggs and all, to a secure pen for the little family, do that. Make sure that you have a waterer ready that the chicks cannot drown in, and appropriate food for the chicks--either chick starter or grow mash.

Good luck with the hatch! :)

Velvet ~:>

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here