Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Price of smaller farmland lots lately?

Posted by mrtea none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 10, 11 at 3:24

Can anyone give me an idea of what has been happening to the cost of smaller farms / "life-style" properties lately? I'm thinking of properties/vancant land in the vicinity of 50-200 acres or so. I want to know whether such land went through a similar increase in prices during the property bubble, and whether - during the last couple of years - they have experienced similar declines in prices as that which has occured in the real estate sector. Or have they been pretty much exempt from this whole cycle?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Price of smaller farmland lots lately?

I'd like to help with that but... that's really an impossible question to answer here. It depends on what is happening in that area, if it is on the edge of development, and local economy. Check locally.

o

I can't find any data that shows the trends at all...was wondering if anyone had anything anecdotaly they could tell me. Even in just your local area?

o

Here is information on land in Kansas. Values in other states will depend on proximity to populated areas (most of rural kansas is sparcely populated)

Here is a link that might be useful: Kansas land prices

o

That's a pretty broad question ... here in Western NY, outside Buffalo, we never had the huge increases in values ... it's always just been a slow steady increase.

Now some of the more rural areas are becoming more popular as people want to move out of the McMansion burbs, into less populated areas. More popular = increase in price.

o

East of the Cascades in Oregon:

The small farms, the big farms, and the enormous cattle ranches went up in price just as much as residential, if not more.

The prices of agricultural have fallen steeply, but not down to what they were before the bubble, and not as deep a cut as residential.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here