Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
runningtrails_gw

Naming the farm

runningtrails
15 years ago

I am desperately searching for a name for my small farm. Something that means "Gift or Blessinsg from God". It's been hard. Does anyone have any suggestions? It's very small, just veggies, chickens and a couple of little dogs right now. Maybe fish, bees and a couple of goats next year, maybe. Ideas anayone?

Comments (32)

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

"Providence farms"

• runningtrails
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I like that! "Providence Acres". I'll try it on hubby, thanks.

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

Blessed Acres

• johanna_h
    15 years ago

I had to laugh at first -- my name "Johanna" is a variation of "Joanna" which means gift of God! So you could call it Johanna Farm!

But seriously, there was a great thread on this forum where everyone posted the names of their farms. I'm sure you'll find it if you search "farm name" or something like that. Some were humorous, some serious, and you might just be inspired.

--Johanna
    Busy Solitude Farm
    Galien MI

• cpp6318
    15 years ago

Forgiveness Farms?

Out here we have a strong mexican influence. One of my neighbors (an Okie like me) has twelve acres with just about everything you could ever dream of on it. It's called the "Almosta Ranch".

• beegood_gw
    15 years ago

If you have hills you could call it Glory Hills Farm

• beeliz
    15 years ago

Mine is red hen haven...although I do have 2 goats,rabbits and a duck..ect.
    but I liked the red hen haven sound..
    how 'bout "powerful glorious acres"

• mrstor
    15 years ago

This has nothing to do with a gift for a Blessing from God, but my former neighbors called their little 10 acre farm... The Oleo Ranch... Just a Small Spread.

I thought that was cute.

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

what is happening here? I replied to this thread 2 times yet do not see my list I worked so hard for you on!

• marlingardener
    15 years ago

Shiloh--which means "peace". We could all use a little of that!

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Did you remember to submit? I forget to all the time, just hitting preview and leaving. Occasionally I post several hours later than I intend to, or a family member will close the tab thinking that I am done.

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

Prayed over place
    Blessed Acres
    Small Blessings
    Blessed Horizons
    Patch of Blessings
    Blessings Patch
    Blessings Remembered
    Blessings circle
    Heavenly Haven
    next door blessings
    Bubbling with Blessings
    Blessings Applied
    Field of Blessings

okay so I am bored. Hope this helps...

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

Trails of Blessings

• runningtrails
    Original Author
    15 years ago

These are such great anmes! Than you so much for the help!

misjay: I got it in my email. Did you reply directly to me or to the group?

I am really enjoying these names. Nothing definate yet, but getting some great ideas!

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

Just trying to get your creative juices a jump start. I sent it on the forum but when you posted the original question you must have checked the box to receive the replies via email too. sometimes they go into a spam folder and sometimes directly into your inbox. I seriously do not know what happened to the first list but it was good in my opinion because I did some spin offs to catchy phrases but for the life of me I can not remember what they were. and I thought I did click on submit after previewing but maybe not.

well let us know what you come up with. I personally will not be offended if you do not pick any of my suggestions.

• nhsuzanne
    15 years ago

I really love Providence Farm. I think that is the best for me it really resonated what you are looking for.

I did not know that Shiloh meant peace - that's nice to know!

• runningtrails
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I like "Providence" Farm too. I think hubby and I have settled on the Providence part. Now to decide on "Farm" or "Acres". I kinda like "Providence Farm".

Now to make the sign and the website!

• nhsuzanne
    15 years ago

I like Farm as opposed to acres. I think it flows better. Just my 2 cents!

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

I checked the domain names for you and here are the results:
    The domain providencefarm.com is already registered.
    BUT
    providencefarm.info is available.
    providencefarm.org is available.
    providencefarm.biz is available.
    providencefarm.us is available. I like this better than the dot com

Sorry!
    The domain providenceacres.com is already registered.

providenceacres.biz is available.

• flgargoyle
    15 years ago

Here in FL there is a farm called 'Abundant Life'. I always liked that.

• runningtrails
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So many great names! Thank you for the research Msjay2u. What about providencefarm.ca? (I'm in Canada). I'll look it up. At first it'll just be part of my artbysheryl.com domain, until we see how it goes.

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

sorry I been working on the coop and have not been here in a couple of days. providencefarm.ca is taken but
    .org .biz .info .name and .us is available.Interestingly enough the name providencefarm.ca is taken but they have not parked a site there. They brought the name and it is available for sale but for a higher price than normal. Probably not worth it for a small site but then again, it might be worth it to you.

Whois providencefarm.ca
    Domain providencefarm.ca
    Privacy: ON
    Registrar Name: Tucows.com Co.
    Renewal Date: 2009/03/28
    DNS1: mail.nexicom.net
    DNS2: hosting7.nexicom.net
    Date approved: 2008/03/28

You might be able to make a play on the spelling and get a .ca site. I tried a couple of spelling variations and they were all taken on .ca
    I almost started wondering if there were any .ca domain names available! I tried www.msjay2u.ca and that was available so I guess it is a matter of trying a diffferent spelling or settling on a different extension (like.biz or .info).

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: domain name check for .ca

• runningtrails
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all that work msjay2! providence_farm.ca is available! Don't know if we'll do that or not. It's something we'll have to think about, maybe. There's lots of things I could put on there.

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

when you are searching for a company to host your site, look for one with templates if you are not experienced. that makes life sooooooo nuch easier and your site will look great. I have not had much luck in finding free templates with a farm theme though. I have my sites hosted on bluehost.com but I imagine that would not work for you in Canada. Glad I was able to help.

Here is a link that might be useful: canadian web host with templates and cheap!

• runningtrails
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for all the info!

At Misk where we register our domain names (hubby and I already each have our own sites) we get lots of web space. We do our own web programming, so that is not a problem.

My main problem is time! I don't have any! On my luch hour now, gotta go back to work!

• Miss_Kitty
    15 years ago

We thought that 'farm' was a bit too much for a place as small as ours (5.25 acres) so we used "Croft" instead. We are "Jordan's Croft" so you can play with that to your heart's content.

Providence Croft sounds pretty to me.

Blessed Croft
    Small Blessings Croft
    Heavenly Haven Croft
    The Croft Next Door
    Bubbling Croft
    Home Sweet Croft
    Black Duck Croft
    Jersey Cow Croft
    Big Garden Croft
    Bee Man's Croft
    Goat Croft
    Ravin' Happy Croft
    Frog Jump Croft

This is too much fun. I think I'll stop now.

Best Blessed
    Kitty

• runningtrails
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Providence Croft does sound good. I'll run it by hubby and we'll give it some thoguht. Still haven't started on the web page yet. Just way too many more important things to do. I'll have to paint a sign too.

I've collected the plants, just gotta till it up. I have a huge deck that needs some repair and staining and that huge veggie garden that needs work too. I also have an art business, painting in my "spare" time.

We have decided to sell our 10 mo old shi tzu puppy. I'll have a bit more time then, I think, as pups are time consuming. We both work full time all day now and it's just not fair to the sweet little guy.

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

well whaddya know www.providence-croft.ca ia available!
    I like that too. It sounds so interesting. I like a few others in the list Kitty submitted too. And she was right it is fun to try to brainstorm on names. Once you get started it is hard to stop. LOL

• runningtrails
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think we're going to stick with Providence Farm. I'm going to make that website! Well after I... and ... and ... lol! Sold pup yesterday so that makes for a bit more time and less stress. Let's see, I'll need pictures...

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

well then providence farm it is!

let us know when you get the site up so we can visit!

• runningtrails
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WIll do.
    I'm going to be looking at a lot of other small farm websites over the next week or so, just to get some ideas.

• La_Night
    11 years ago

Here are some examples:
    -Saphire Farming
    -Lonely Farming
    -Star Farm
    -Mellwood Farming
    -Squidorid Low Farm

Hope that helped a bit.