Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nesting boxes

Posted by runningtrails 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 08 at 5:04

OK, I have my chickens now (and they are so beautiful!!!) however, they are only laying tiny eggs and laying them all over. I think, of the dozen we have collected since they arrived, only two were found in the nexting boxes. Some are even found outside.

The boxes are about 14" wide and tall with lots of soft material and one or two egg-sized smooth rocks in each.

Will they eventually lay in the nesting boxes? Will the eggs get bigger as the chickens mature and settle into their new home?

I'm not sure how old they are. They were called "ready to lay" by the Co-Op and are red sex-links. The rooster that came with them is only four months old.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nesting boxes

are you using laying feed? I think from what I read the first eggs will be small. are the boxes kind of in a private dark spot? did you put soft bedding material in it?

o
RE: Nesting boxes

Well, I was wrong, they do use it. It seems to be a great bos to roost on and poop in. Putting something in it for them to scratch for to eat is a good idea. I'll try that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here