Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dusting box question

Posted by runningtrails 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 08 at 5:11

I made the chickens a great dusting box (or so I thought) but I don't think they use it. They prefer to dig holes in the yard and use those instead. Some are dusting in the wood shavings I put on the floor of the house. I put the dusting box inside the coop to keep it dry and put in sifted dust from outside, some fine sand, wood ash and DE. I want them to use what I have made with the DE. They lay in these holes they have dug in the yard and nap too. It's fairly sandy soil. One dug a hole, and insisted on laying in it, right in front of the coop door where the other gals had to step on her to get outside. (I think I'm going to put something over that one to prevent that.)

Should I move the dusting box that I made outside or put some of the DE and wood ash in the holes they are using?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dusting box question

The nerve!!
Animals can be so unappreciate of our hard work.

Are your dusting boxes big and deep enough? I have no idea of the size it is supposed to be but I plan on using s kitty litter pan.

If I were you I would put something in the box to attract them to it. maybe a few worms or something so they will get in it and start digging. Once they dig they will get the feel of it and maybe come to like it. also maybe you can move it over one of the spots they chose. there may be a reason in their chicken brain that they chose that spot.

I'm no expert I'm just throwing out some ideas I would try...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here