Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chicken feed and water questions

Posted by runningtrails 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 9, 08 at 5:51

I have found this forum to be a great help! Im getting my first chickens today. 12 hens and 1 rooster - ready to lay - red sex links.

Do you leave the layer pellets out for the chickens 24/7? Mine will also get scraps an garden compost, bugs, etc but I'm giving them layer pellets, as well.

Should I remove the pellets at nightfall to keep out the mice?

They will have one waterer inside the coop. Will that be enough? WIll they know where it is and use it there? Should I put another one outside? How often should I change the water. It's a slow feed automatic waterer. The water is not in the open.

Do I mix the crushed egg shsells with the pellets or keep separate, free choice. Will the mice come for the egg shells also, do I need to remove those as well?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chicken feed and water questions

I leave the layer pellets out for mine. If you are concerned about mice you can take them up at night.
I crumble up the egg shells and just toss them out for the hens. Mine usually don't leave any laying around.
I think that chicken scratch is what will attract the mice the most. Since that is just a treat only put out what they will eat in say 10 minutes.
Fresh water is important to all livestock. I change mine at least once a day. When it's hot more often. I would have at least 2 waterers for that many birds.
Good for you for researching poultry. I think you are off to a good start. Just having the birds is a learning experience. You will learn a lot of little things as you go. Like the best place to keep the feed to keep it clean, how much your birds will eat and what they like best.
Good Luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here