Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hen losing her feathers

Posted by granjerito 7 NC (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 17, 05 at 7:06

A little help please, if this is even a concern. My oldest hen, Liberty, is missing alot of her feathers on her belly. She is much bigger than the 2 youngsters we got about 3 months ago, and she isn't afraid of the duck we got at the same time, so I don't think any of them are doing it. Can't figure it out.
Also, does anyone know if there is a good feed to give the hens that is ok for the duck as well? Thanks for all the help, and I enjoy everyone's postings on here.....have to post more myself

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hen losing her feathers

How old is she? I'd guess that she's molting.

o

I second what Erin said...molting? Hens can look positively frightful whe they molt, also they suspend egg laying when molting so don't be surprised if that happens, too. If she is broody, sometimes broody hens will pull feathers from their chest area to help expose their skin directly to the eggs thay are sitting. Is she acting strange or sick at all? Is she eating and drinking OK, have normal poops?

I have one duck and he eats the same food as the chickens, and growing up on our farm we had a bunch of mallards that also ate the same chicken feed as the chickens. I'm sure one of our duck experts here can give you more help though. :)

Velvet

o

Ducks aren't supposed to have medicated feed. so long as your chicken feed is unmedicated it's okay for them to share. Usually (but not always) the molt starts with loss of feathers on their back, but some chickens go almost completely bald and others you hardly notice at all. But I do agree with all that Velvet and Erin said. You might also want to check for feather mites. I dust my girls once or twice a year to be safe.

o

What do you all think of hens with missing tail and neck feathers? My girls were losing their tail feathers badly but I thought it may just be the rooster. He is long gone and they are still missing them pretty badly. They were about a year when it first started and they did suspend laying but have been laying again now for some time and the feathers don't seem to be coming back very well. I guess I should dust them...but the others look fine it is just my two Australorps and they are the two bosses of the flock. Suggestions?

o

Thanks all. No dust mites that I can see, but I'm going to dust anyways. Not sure how old Liberty is, since I saved her off a chicken truck....my guess is she's about 1 to 1 1/2 years old now. She has stopped laying quite a bit recently, so that is another sign you pointed out.

I read recently about making sure the feed was unmedicated, so I've verified that (before purchasing of course....LOL). Just wanted to make sure that that was all I really had to look out for before getting some kind of laying feed like Layeena.

Thanks again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here