Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on hatching duck eggs in incubator

Posted by TardisCowboy none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 7:30

Hi everyone,

My mom and I are hatching call duck eggs in incubators for the first time, and we have two that are very close to emerging. They are both wiggling actively, though I haven't heard any peeping from inside yet. The one closest to hatching has visible cracks in the shell that appeared the day before yesterday, radiating from one spot where the duckling apparently was attempting to make a pip mark. However, there's no actual hole yet, and the shell is not pushed out in that area - all we have are cracks at the moment. I know the baby is still alive, and the humidity and temp in the incubator are really good right now, but we're still waiting for something more significant to happen. Is it normal for it to take this long for hatching to actually begin after cracking, or might the shell be too hardened for the duckling to handle? I know helping them out of the shell is not out of the question under certain circumstances, but I don't want to go that route unless I'm sure it's necessary. Could somebody with experience in this area give me some advice?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on hatching duck eggs in incubator

It's been a long time since we hatched out ducks, but I remember having to spray(mist) the eggs with water to replicate the amount of moisture they'd receive in Nature from the mama duck.
Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here