Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chickens/golfball question

Posted by dirtgirldiana1 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 13, 09 at 8:04

I've been reading this forum for a few years and I'm learning a lot from all of you. I've had my 25 chickens almost 4 months. You all are so helpful people and being new I have questions I'll be posting. I guess I just want to thank you all ahead of time.

Anyway..question..When I was a young girl my grandparents had chickens. I can remember there were always golfballs in the nesting boxes. I'm wondering why. Is this a way of encouraging hens to lay?
Thanks,
Diana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chickens/golfball question

It is a way of encouraging them to lay eggs in the nest boxes. Chickens, when they are young and just starting laying eggs, will lay them anywhere. The thought is that if they have something hard and round under them, they will start putting their own hard and round objects in the same spot.
I tried it, and my hens scratched a hole in the coop and practiced their putting (just kidding!).

o

It's when they start practicing their drives that it's time to worry! *G*

Yeah, the golf ball trick is an old one...works sometimes, not others. Although sometimes my silly girls will auddenly get it into their heads that weird places are the PERFECT place to lay an egg! Especially the banties, the little stinkers...

Enjoy your chickens!

Velvet ~:>

o

You might find plastic toy eggs in a toy store.

Some people recommend wooden eggs.

I used plastic toy eggs years ago. Worked just fine.

Amazon has some wooden ones for $12 a dozen. They list 877 items under toy eggs. plenty to look at.

Here is a link that might be useful: toy eggs at Amazon including wooden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here